Thursday 3rd March is World Book Day (WBD). WBD is a celebration of authors, illustrators, books and reading, and is the biggest celebration of its kind. WBD is marked in 100 countries around the world! The main aim of the day in the UK and Ireland is to encourage children to explore the pleasures of books and reading by providing them with the opportunity to have a book of their own. £1 book tokens are sent out to primary schools (and those nurseries and secondary schools who have registered to participate), and a selection of £1 books are specially created each year for WBD. The WBD website also has lots of great activities for you to do with your class on Thursday including:
- 20 Big Book Off activity cards designed by the Centre for Literacy in Primary Education (CLPE) with links to the EYFS and National Curriculum 2014. The cards contain 20 different ideas for celebrating books and reading for Primary and Secondary schools including creating a soundscape, making a puppet, recording freeze-frames scenes, and oral storytelling. To celebrate World Book day and 20 years of Core Books, the CLPE have released 20 free teaching sequences (EYS to KS2) for a limited time. These sequences are like gold so make the most of them while you can!
- Test your knowledge in the Bumper Book Quiz with tailored versions for KS1, KS2 and KS3. Download the files to your desktop and then run the quiz with your class. Includes video appearances from authors such as Andy Stanton, Malorie Blackman, and Cressida Cowell.
- Be inspired by children’s authors and illustrators by watching the Imagination Channel or the Storycraft videos and hear how people like Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart create their stories.
- Visit the Big Little Book Corner and watch 4 video books from top authors such as Oliver Jeffers and Emma Chichester Clarke. Each book comes with a downloadable activity pack designed to support children progressing through the Early Years Outcomes.
- Rock out with YA authors during WBD TeenFest. Taking place between 6 to 8pm on Wednesday 2nd March and 6 to 8pm on Thursday 3rd March (World Book Day itself!), WBD TeenFest will combine live chats with YA authors, exclusive author blogs, DIY videos, fabulous competitions, fun deskies and shelfies PLUS a rapid-fire Bumper Book Quiz! The author line-up includes: Sarah Crossan; Rainbow Rowell; William Sutcliffe; Philip Reeve; Sophie McKenzie; Darren Shan; Juno Dawson; and Sally Green.
- Get ideas on dressing up as your favourite book characters including how to dress up as a crayon from The Day the Crayons Quit
- And don’t forget to download your WBD toolkit to get teaching resources and posters to use on the day.