International Visiting Fellowships
We are now inviting applications for our International Visiting Research Fellow Scheme, enabling international scholars to spend time at the Centre, in Brighton, UK to pursue their research within the themes of the CTSG and form collaborations with CTSG staff members. In spring 2023 we offer one supported fellowship of up to £2000 to cover travel, accommodation and fellowship-related research costs. Priority is given to applicants from the Global South.
Spring 2023 application dates:
- applications due by end of play 6 January 2023
- outcome communicated by 27 January 2023
Period of stay:
- Any time between 6 February 2023 – 30 June 2023
CTSG is a research centre for gender and sexuality research with a strong national and international reputation for interdisciplinary, community-focused and impactful research and innovation in research methodology. Take a look at our research projects for more information.
Researchers associated with the Centre engage in interdisciplinary and cross-campus collaborations including work within the Brighton and Sussex Medical School, School of Applied Social Science, School of Media, School of Humanities and other disciplines such as Human Geography and Sports Science.
Please see our website for an overview of members’ research profiles. We have a vibrant research community where both researchers and PhD students benefit from a rich programme of research seminars, workshops, invited international speakers and guest speakers from NGOs or the creative arts, to mention a few. The Centre has growing research grant attainment and enduring partnerships with community organisations and universities in the UK and internationally.
The aims of the scheme are to:
- provide external researchers with an opportunity to immerse themselves in the research culture of the Centre for Transforming Sexuality and Gender
- offer opportunities for external researchers to work collaboratively with CTSG staff
- foster international networks within gender and sexualities research
- provide a stimulating intellectual environment for advancing collaborative bid development or co-authoring with staff, which is particularly encouraged
- give visiting researchers a platform for presenting their current or emerging work.
We encourage researchers working in the following areas to apply:
- digital sexualities
- sex, sexuality and health
- LGBTQ+ lives
- gender and sexuality activism
Many CTSG researchers draw on creative methodologies and we are also interested in engaging with researchers exploring innovation in research methodologies within gender and sexuality research. Researchers associated with the CTSG will have access to a dedicated methodological space – the Creative Methods Lab – which is a purpose-built space where researchers meet to develop and conduct research, using state-of the-art visual and audio recording equipment. We also have an interest in working collaboratively with various organisations and communities and in the exchange between academic research and activism.
Visiting Fellows will make excellent contributions to their fields and will join the vibrant research community in the Centre for Transforming Sexuality and Gender and contribute to it. You can read about the work of current and previous Visiting Fellows here.
Travel, accommodation and fellowship-related research costs up to £2000 are part of the Fellowship, but no salary or stipend is paid. This includes the Centre covering the £200 administrative fee (ie £1800 + £200). Fellowships are usually expected to last between two weeks and two months. We can also accommodate a small number of self-funded vising fellows for any period of up to one year. Feel free to contact us to discuss if you are considering this option.
Visiting fellows will have access to:
- a University of Brighton campus card, which enables access to University staff and student facilities
- access to Information Services (including libraries) and to computer, printing and copying facilities
- access to UoB specialised licensed software if appropriate
- a University of Brighton email address
- contact with your sponsor, who will be a member of the academic staff
- attendance at general seminars and open lectures
- potential to host a seminar within the University and present research findings to staff and students before the visit ends.
Applicants should ensure that they address the following criteria in their application:
- ambition to immerse themselves and contribute to the CTSG research culture
- include a proposed talk or workshop to be delivered during their stay/time with the CTSG
- articulate the fit between their project and the CTSG themes
- contribute towards the centre’s aim to foster international networks
Potential applicants are welcome to contact the Centre Director Dr Olu Jenzen or any other member of the team to informally discuss their application. Any enquiries should be directed to the CTSG administrator Karen Gainsford.
To join as a Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Brighton, you will need a sponsor. This person will act as your host during your visit and must be a permanent employee of the University. Your sponsor will ensure that your research is integrated into the research infrastructure within the University.
When you have identified an academic at the University of Brighton who is willing to be your sponsor and agrees to support your application, please download and complete the following forms:
These forms must be completed and submitted by email to VRF-RaKE@brighton.ac.uk.
Please CC Karen Gainsford K.Gainsford@brighton.ac.uk and your sponsor.
VRF applicants are advised to refer to the UKVI website to check whether they will need a
visa or not. You can access the link here: https://www.gov.uk/visit-uk-research