The Centre for Transforming Sexuality and Gender at the University of Brighton (CTSG) invites applications for Visiting Research Fellows to spend time at the Centre in the Spring Semester 2021 to pursue their research within the themes of the CTSG and form collaborations with CTSG staff member(s).
CTSG is a research centre for gender and sexuality research with a strong national and international reputation for interdisciplinary, community-focused and impactful research and innovation in research methodology. Take a look at our research projects for more information.
Researchers associated with the Centre engage in interdisciplinary and cross-campus collaborations including work within the Brighton and Sussex Medical School, School of Applied Social Science, School of Media, School of Humanities and other disciplines such as Human Geography and Sports Science.
Please see our website for an overview of members’ research profiles. We have a vibrant research community where both researchers and PhD students benefit from a rich programme of research seminars, workshops, invited international speakers and guest speakers from NGOs or the creative arts to mention a few. The Centre also has cutting edge research facilities in the Creative Methods Lab; growing research grant attainment; and enduring partnerships with community organisations and universities in the UK and internationally.
The aims of the scheme are to:
- provide external researchers with an opportunity to immerse themselves in the research culture of the Centre for Transforming Sexuality and Gender
- offer opportunities for external researchers to work collaboratively with CTSG staff
- foster international networks within gender and sexualities research
- provide a stimulating intellectual environment for advancing collaborative bid development or co-authoring
- give visiting researchers a platform for presenting their current or emerging work.
We encourage researchers working in the following areas to apply:
- digital sexualities
- sex, sexuality and health
- LGBT queer lives
- gender and sexuality activism
Many CTSG researchers draw on creative methodologies and we are also interested in engaging with researchers exploring innovation in research methodologies within gender and sexuality research. Researchers associated with the CTSG will have access to a dedicated methodological space – the Creative Methods Lab – which is a brand-new and beautifully-designed space where researchers meet to develop and conduct research, using state-of the-art visual and audio recording equipment.
We also have an interest in working collaboratively with various organisations and communities and in the exchange between academic research and activism. We host the CTSG and Radical Futures’ Activist in Residence scheme, so cross-fertilisation with this scheme is also encouraged. Further, collaborative output or bid development work with staff is particularly encouraged. Visiting Fellows will make excellent contributions to their fields and will join the vibrant research community in the Centre for Transforming Sexuality and Gender and contribute to it. You can read about the work of current and previous Visiting Fellows here.
Travel, accommodation and fellowship-related research costs of up to £2,000 are part of the Fellowship, but no salary or stipend is paid. This includes the Centre covering the £200 administrative fee. Fellowships are usually expected to last between two weeks and two months.
The fee entitles the scholar to:
- a University of Brighton campus card, which enables access to University staff and student facilities
- access to Information Services (including libraries) and to computer, printing and copying facilities
- access to any specialised licensed software if appropriate
- a University of Brighton email address
- contact with your sponsor, who will be a member of the academic staff
- attendance at general seminars and open lectures
- potential to host a seminar within the University and present research findings to staff and students before the visit ends.
If additional resources or inputs are required by the scholar, such as laboratory/studio/practice space, then an additional bench fee of £200 per month will be charged.
The 2021 Spring term Fellowship Scheme is now open. Applications are due by 5pm, Monday 1 February 2021. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by 19th March 2021.
Any costs relating to the Fellowship need to have been settled by 16 July 2021.
Applicants should ensure that they address the following criteria in their application:
- ambition to immerse themselves and contribute to the CTSG research culture
- include a proposed talk or workshop to be delivered during their stay
- articulate the fit between their project and the CTSG themes
- contribute towards the centre’s aim to foster international networks
Potential applicants are welcome to contact the Centre Director Dr Olu Jenzen or any other member of the team to informally discuss their application. Any enquiries should be directed to the CTSG administrator Karen Gainsford.
Please refer to the application forms and details here:
- Visiting Research Fellows application form
- Visiting Research Fellows guidance
- IT Account Registration form
Once you have completed your application, please return all documents (application form, CV and IT Account Registration Form) by email to VRF-RESP@brighton.ac.uk