The Centre is offering the Paul Cottingham Trust scholarship for entry onto the Social Research Methods MSc for the 2023–24 academic year. The scholarship is worth £8,100, equivalent to the UK full-time course fee.
The scholarship has been developed to help promote gender diversity in higher education and society, and to contribute to social research related to Trans experiences, rights and to challenge institutional genderism in wider debates about gender. UK research by the NUS reported that over half (51%) of Trans-identifying respondents had seriously considered discontinuing their course (NUS, 2014), which demonstrates that universities must do more to support and promote a Trans-inclusive environment and research.
The scholarship will be awarded to a candidate who is committed to making a difference to the wider Trans community, especially its most marginalised members, for example disabled Trans people and Trans people of colour. The successful candidate will receive dedicated mentoring by a current CTSG member of staff and a PhD student to support your academic career. They will also receive up to £1,500 towards the cost of attending relevant conferences.
The CTSG Scholarship is open to candidates who situate their research topic within one of the CTSG research themes (i.e. LGBT queer lives; sex, sexuality and health; digital sexualities; gender and citizen equality) and can demonstrate a commitment to social change, Trans rights and vision for the future of transforming sexualities and gender inclusion and diversity in HE and society.
Who is eligible
To be considered for the scholarship you must:
- have accepted an offer of a place on the MSc Social Research Methods for the 2023–24 academic year.
- be domiciled in the UK and not required to pay tuition fees at the international rate.
- be self-funding. Students taking out a masters loan can apply, but applicants funded by employers, other scholarships or other funding schemes are not eligible.
We particularly welcome applications from the Trans community*.
An award will be withdrawn if a student fails to meet the conditions set by the university.
*See the Stonewall glossary of terms.
How to apply
You must have received an offer of a place on the MSc Social Research Methods for the relevant academic year. You can apply online for the MA.
Please complete the application form for the scholarship.
The review panel will evaluate your application based on the following criteria:
- How will the scholarship transform your personal and professional development?
- How does your proposed area of study and research topic fit with one of the CTSG research themes, i.e. LGBT queer lives; sex, sexuality and health; digital sexualities; gender and citizen equality?
- What contribution do you hope to make to Trans rights and sexualities and gender inclusion and diversity in HE and society during and after the course?
To discuss any aspect of the scholarship with our Centre Director, email Dr Olu Jenzen: O.Jenzen@brighton.ac.uk.
The application form can be found here: https://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-finance/postgraduate/uk-students/scholarships/paul-cottingham-trust-scholarship.aspx
Application deadline: 31 May 2023
Leave a Reply