Civil engineering, construction and building

Blog about civil engineering and construction

Claudia Quantity Surveying student profile shot

A structured career path played a key part in returning to study

After considering her career options, Claudia decided our Quantity Surveying course was a great choice for her as a mature student. It fits well with her interests, she has lots of support at Brighton and can see plenty of opportunities to progress her career once she graduates.

I had been considering my career options for a few years, and after much research decided Quantity Surveying would be a good fit for me. I have always had a keen interest in all things construction related, I’m very interested in new ideas regarding environmentally friendly house building and have several years office experience under my belt.

As I am a mature student, I felt it was particularly important I had a structured career path to follow on from the degree. Quantity Surveying is a job that is currently in demand and has great opportunities for progression once you have experience.

Brighton was the obvious choice for me, I love the city and it is easily commutable from my home in Crawley. I spoke to the University before applying and I was reassured that I would not be the only mature student and that there was plenty of support available.

I am in my first year, and this year I am doing the same modules as students on different courses such Building Surveying and Project Management. I think it is brilliant that we all start with the same base knowledge and get to learn a little about different fields of construction. I have loved the variety between modules, each of them feels like they use a different set of skills.

A highlight for me has been the Building Design and Technology module, we have been learning to draw floor plans and will be going on to design a home in the second semester. I don’t feel it is naturally my strong point, but actually it was just a case of a little practice and the lecturer was very supportive. I have also really enjoyed the Indoor Environment module as it feels so applicable to everyday life, I have learnt so much about the workings of my home – I feel like it is something everyone should know!

All the lecturers have been brilliant and very supportive. I have two young children and sometimes there is screaming in the background when I am trying to talk during an online lecture, they always smile and make me feel at ease about the situation. If I have needed extra help with certain aspects of modules, every single lecturer has readily made themselves available to help.

Doing this course has really boosted my confidence, and I think that is one of the biggest things that will help me with my future employability at this stage. I have made sure that I contribute throughout lectures and have also become a Course Rep.

The University is very supportive. We are each assigned a Personal Academic Tutor who checks in with you on regular intervals, they are a great source of knowledge and can help when you are having difficulties.

I have had worries relating to money, as well as stress and time management. The COVID-19 restrictions have meant I have really struggled with childcare issues. I contacted my SSGT and she immediately pointed me in the direction of a team who could advise me financially. She also scheduled a call to go over my worries, just talking to someone about it really helps.

I feel optimistic for the future, I chose this course so I could have a hopefully lucrative career and better support my family. After finishing the course I hope to go straight into employment in a graduate Quantity Surveyor role (or something very similar to this!).

Stephanie Thomson • June 13, 2021