Civil engineering, construction and building

Blog about civil engineering and construction

1

An insight into studying Civil Engineering

Final year MEng student Scarlett, talks about her experience of life as a Civil Engineering student at Brighton.

I visited Brighton on my 18th birthday and I just knew I had to live here! It’s such a fun, vibrant city, there’s something for everyone. I chose Civil Engineering as I have always had an interest in building, structure and architecture. Although architecture really appeals to me, I wanted to understand how structures stood up, how they worked, and why.

I would recommend this course to anyone who wants a rewarding degree. I also wanted to choose a degree that would have a good chance of a job at the end of the course and Civil Engineers are in high demand. In the Masters year, your modules are completely optional. This year I am recreating Roman Concrete for my final year project and it is very interesting and I am enjoying managing my own time and getting messy in the labs. In the second year, we had a Civil Engineering and Built Environment trip to Berlin which was a lot of fun!

For my placement year, I used the careers service who were particularly helpful, they suggested improvements for my CV and interview techniques. My placement was with a structural engineering company called Hockley and Dawson, working as a Student Structural Engineer/ CAD technician.

For the first few months I was mainly creating drawings on AutoCAD for the engineers, which were then sent on to architects or the contractors. As my confidence grew, I began to attend site visits and monitor old, often listed buildings, taking photographs and measurements to use back in the office. I also carried out a few small extension and pile load calculations. The site visits were really beneficial as they made all the theory I had learnt at university make a lot more sense, being able to see it in “real-life”.

I would say that Brighton is a fabulous place to be and you will not regret it! As for Civil Engineering, it is a very interesting and stimulating course that keeps you on your toes. The world is always developing and changing and that’s what Civil Engineers are for.

Stephanie Thomson • February 16, 2017

Comments

1. Abhishek C K June 9, 2021 - 2:53 pm Reply

That is really an amazing post. Thank you for sharing it. Admissiongyan is an Overseas Education Consultancy helping students to study MS in Civil Engineering. For more info visit https://www.admissiongyan.com/courses/civil-engineering/