Computer Science BSc(Hons)

Off to France for International games competition

As part of the Integrated Group Project module, our computing students were asked to develop an educational game. The top three games were submitted to the 6th International Educational Games Competition at the 12th European Conference on Games Based Learning (ECGBL 2018) that will take place on 4 – 5 October 2018 at the SKEMA Business School, Sophia Antipolis, France.

All three submissions were shortlisted (out of 60 submissions in total) in the ‘games in development’ category.  Three of our second year Computer Science BSc(Hons) students, Tom Corlett (Computer Science BSc), Michael Cruz Cervera and Angel Kozlev will be travelling to France for the final round of the competition where they will present their games to the judges.

We caught up with Tom Corlett before the trip who told us about his group’s project and life as a student here.

Tom Collett, Computer Science BSc(Hons)

Tom Collett, Computer Science BSc(Hons)

I chose to come to the University of Brighton because I was impressed by its extensive facilities, as well as the wide range of optional modules the course offers. Being located In Brighton, a hotspot of mixed and ever-evolving culture, I also knew that I would be able to strike a great work life balance here.

“Upon arriving in Brighton, I was initially nervous about fitting in to this new environment. However, the range of places to go and things to do allowed me to find my footing. When I started my course, I thought that I would be going to lectures and then struggling through work independently, but the lab sessions and support from the staff helped me to build my knowledge and gain confidence in my learning. Being able to talk to staff who are passionate about what they teach, and gain first-hand experience of the subject areas that I am most interested in really helped. And I know I can rely on them to help me through challenging concepts – there’s never been any shortage in availability of help.

“I would recommend the course to anyone that wants to gain an overview of all different aspects of computer science, which is great if you’re not completely sure what specific sector of the industry you want to go into upon graduation. I particularly recommend the computer architecture modules as they provide an insight into the inner workings of a computer from both a theoretical and practical standpoint. My favourite aspect of my course is the problem-solving skills that it teaches you. Modules such as Data Structures and Algorithms challenge you to think creatively and logically in order to solve a problem, and really challenge you in your ability to think latently.

“For our group project we created ‘Town Builder’ which is designed to teach Key Stage 2 and 3 students how to create websites. It does so by allowing the player to create buildings using HTML and CSS, and then apply functionality via JavaScript. It features an aesthetic art style and an engaging storyline that we hope will capture the imagination of our target audience. During the development process of the game, I learnt new technologies such as Angular as well as design skills. Overall, I think the most important skill that I learnt was project management, and the importance of planning, managing time, and maintaining a clear aim for the project.

“I’m really excited to be given the opportunity to present my project at the conference in France, where I hope to meet lots of people that have a passion for programming as well as using their skills for placing a positive impact on the world.

“I have also just completed a 10-week internship during the summer, and am already seeing the benefits that my course and experience has brought to me when entering the workplace. I found that the most valuable aspect of the internship was receiving feedback and advice from my work colleagues, so I intend to use this experience in much the same way; gain as much feedback and advice as possible. Getting an internship or a placement year is a great way to boost your confidence as well as spruce up your CV. There’s a lot of skills required to pass an interview, so the sooner you start preparing the better.

“Last year the university secured an internship opportunity at a nearby company exclusively for Brighton students which also came with a scholarship. I think this showed how much the university values its students.

“Coming to Brighton has made me more independent as a person, and not just because it meant that I would be living away from my parents. My university work encouraged me to be more proactive in my learning and taught me how to learn skills on my own, which is something that I will be able to apply to my future career. It’s not just my academic life that has changed, the people I’ve met and places that I have been during my time here have continually helped me to grow as a person, and I’m now a much more confident person because of it.”

We wish them all the best of luck!