Apply for membership of the University of Brighton research Centre for Memory Narrative and Histories
Become a Researcher Member of the Centre for Memory, Narrative and Histories
University of Brighton staff and postgraduate research students (doctoral and masters) with research interests relevant to CMNH’s aims, research themes and practices, and who would benefit from and contribute to our work, are welcome to join. Membership is by approval of CMNH’s Steering Group.
To apply, please send to Memorynarrativehistories@brighton.ac.uk a short CV (max. two pages) together with a brief statement (max. 700 words) that describes:
- Your research interests and how they relate to CMNH’s aims and activities;
- How you expect to benefit from centre membership;
- How you envisage contributing to the centre’s work, as an individual and/or participant in a research grouping.
Masters students who wish to join should please email us a brief paragraph explaining your interests and what you hope to gain from membership. Masters courses with links to the centre include:
- MA Cultural History, Memory and Identity
- MA Cultural and Critical Theory
- MA Education
- MA History of Design and Material Culture
- MA War: History and Politics
Contributions of researcher members may include:
- Proposing and developing centre projects, events, funding bids, reading groups, etc.;
- Supporting centre activities, eg co-organising seminars, symposia and conferences, chairing events, commenting on funding bids, advising PhD proposals, etc.;
- Working collectively with other centre members in developing CMNH’s research areas;
- Networking with external partners on behalf of the centre;
- Developing a relationship between CMNH and another research group or centre at the university.
Benefits of researcher membership may include:
- Opportunities to further individual and collective research interests and to initiate and participate in collaborative research activities in the context of an established research centre with supporting infrastructure and a local, national and international profile;
- Enhancing individual research profile and CV, strengthening individual applications for funding, potential to attract research students, publication plans, etc.
- Eligibility to apply for small grants from CMNH’s Research Support Fund.
Join us as a Visiting Researcher or Associate Member
CMNH regularly hosts as Visiting Researchers academic staff and research students based at other institutions, and independent scholars, who wish to make a research visit to Brighton over a specified period of time. Our Visiting Research Fellowship scheme is open to those seeking to make an extended visit with access to facilities, and we welcome such applications. Visit our Visiting Fellowship pages for further information on our visiting research fellowships. Visiting Researchers are normally expected to present a seminar on their work.
Associate Membership is open to academics, research students, independent scholars, educationalists, activists, creative artists, local and community historians and others who make a sustained contribution to our research areas and projects or who want an ongoing relationship to our and activities. We look forward to hearing from applicants to join on this basis.
To apply, please send us a two-page CV and a short statement (c.500 words) to introduce yourself and your research interests, explaining how these relate to the centre and your envisaged contribution.
Approval is made by the centre’s Steering Group.