Andrew Coleman, CEObS Board member and Senior Lecturer on the MSc Town Planning and Chartered Apprenticeship route,  has recently been elected as Fellow of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). Fellowship is one of the highest professional attainments available to a planner. The RTPI were particularly impressed by his deep specialism in environmentalism and how to manage the risk of flooding through the planning system and the wide range and type of work experience he has accumulated over the years, from working in both public and public sectors and in academia, as well as working in Trinidad and Tobago. Andrew is module leader for AIM29 Sustainable Urbanism in Coastal Communities and is an expert on how aquatic and coastal issues and climate change adaptation are tackled in the planning system. He has recently started a PhD in this subject at the University.

Andrew  said,

‘I am very honoured to be elected as  Fellow of the RTPI. Ever since joining the RTPI, I have retained a profound belief that planning can deliver a better present and future for people and the environment. Pursuing this objective is becoming even more urgent given the climate and biodiversity crises facing the world. In my current teaching, research, RTPI and environmental activist roles I am dedicated to equipping current and future planners with the tools to meet these challenges and my election as a Fellow demonstrates the importance that the RTPI places on addressing these issues. ‘