The Centre for Design History (CDH) at the University of Brighton invites applications for a funded International Visiting Research Fellow (VRF) to spend time at the Centre in the spring semester of 2022 to pursue their research within CDH’s themes and to form collaborations with CDH members.
CDH examines the production and consumption of visual and material culture – images and things – in their widest social and cultural contexts across diverse histories and geographies. It contributes to an expanded field of design history that embraces the conjunction of professional and amateur practices; digital and analogue artefacts; the decentring of design practice away from the singular object to complex ecologies, objects and systems, and the role of design and material culture in everyday life. It is committed to taking global perspectives on how colonial and post-colonial narratives of design have been constructed and to consider what voices and practices these exclude.
CDH comprises over 50 members including artists and designers, archivists and curators, activists and academics from PhDs to Professors. We have a vibrant research community and a rich programme of seminars, workshops and conferences. Related research resources include the internationally renowned Design Archives. For detail of recent CDH activities, see our lively blog.
The aims of the scheme are to:
* provide an external researcher with an opportunity to immerse themselves in CDH’s research culture
* offer an opportunity for an external researcher to work collaboratively with CDH staff
* foster international networks within design history research
* develop a stimulating intellectual environment for advancing collaborative bid development, co-convening events and / or co-authoring publications
* give a visiting researcher a platform for presenting their research to staff and students
CDH research is currently grouped around four thematic strands:
- Fashion and dress histories
- Graphic design histories
- Transnational design histories
- Museums, archives and exhibitions
Cutting across these themes, we are committed to research approaches and practices that decentre cultural privilege and engage with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. We particularly welcome applications that address these areas.
Travel, accommodation and Fellowship-related research costs up to £1200 are part of the Fellowship (including the £200 administrative fee for the scheme), but no salary or stipend will be paid. Fellowships are usually expected to last between two weeks and two months.
For visa purposes, where needed, CDH can provide a letter with the formal start / end dates plus an outline of the specifics of the role.
Visiting Research Fellows will have access to:
* a University of Brighton campus card, which enables access to University facilities and resources
* Information Services (including libraries) and to computer, printing and copying facilities
* a University of Brighton email address
* a sponsor (a member of CDH academic staff) plus CDH administrative support
Applications are due by 5pm GMT on Friday 26th November 2021 to CentreforDesignHistory@brighton.ac.uk
One application will be put forward in this round. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by 20th December 2021. Fellowships can start from 1st February 2022. Any Fellowship-related costs need to be settled by 15th July 2022 (and must meet the University expenses policy, available on request).
Applicants should ensure that they address the following in their application:
* their proposed contribution to CDH’s research culture (with justification for their activities to take place either remotely or in-person; travel to Brighton is optional, depending on the applicant’s plans)
* the fit between their plans and one or more of CDH’s themes and priorities
* details of the collaborative activities and outcomes to be delivered during their Fellowship
* indication of how the £1000 expenses will be spent, and the duration and format of the planned Fellowship
Potential applicants are welcome to contact the CDH Director, Dr Annebella Pollen firstname.lastname@example.org or any other CDH member to discuss their application.
Please refer to the application forms and details, but please note that documents need to be submitted in the first instance, by the deadline, to CentreforDesignHistory@brighton.ac.uk:
* Visiting Research Fellows application form
* Visiting Research Fellows guidance
* IT Account Registration form