A Taste of Current Volunteering Opportunities for Students at Hastings Campus
Active Student helps you find and apply for local rewarding, safe and supported volunteering opportunities.
- Add to your CV, complement your degree, and network.
- New in town? Get to know your local community and meet new people.
- 1066 Cartoon Festival, Sunday16th October There will be a day of cartoon fun on the Stade, with workshops, exhibitions, cartoonists and caricaturists running wild! Roles include stewarding, workshop assistance, answering questions from the public, signposting the public, distributing brochures, exhibition management and invigilation, interviewing the public for their feedback and evaluation. Volunteers will be briefed on their duties on the day.
Time commitment: Full day, exact time TBC.
Location: The Stade, Hastings
- Arts Connect Volunteer 2016-17, Culture Shift A programme of activities designed to support adults with learning disabilities to engage in the arts and develop their talent and interests. Commissioned by East Sussex County Council, Arts Council England and other funders. We are looking to recruit up to 10 volunteers, with groups of 3-4 volunteers supporting each of the Get Creative courses and Get Connected events. On the courses, you will work alongside a lead artist and our project coordinator, Julia Roberts and support participants on a 1-1 basis, or small group basis, with supervision and support from the two project leaders.
Time commitment: Various dates from October 2016 until June 2017.
Location: Hastings, Bexhill, Lewes, Crowborough and Eastbourne. Mutually agreed, in advance, travel expenses may be paid.
- Young Witness Support, Victim Support Could you support a young witness in court? Young Witness Service and its supporters give emotional support and practical help to children and young people affected by crime, and who are required to give evidence in court. Training provided.
Time commitment: Up to 8 hours a week for 6 months to one year.
Location: Courts across East Sussex, including Hastings court. Travel expenses can be reimbursed.
- Maths and English Tutoring, Action Tutoring Action Tutoring partners with schools in Hastings, Brighton and Hove to provide high-quality tuition in maths and English at GCSE level to pupils facing socio-economic disadvantage, giving them the best chance to reach their potential. Pupils are in years 10 and 11.
Time commitment: Minimum of one hour a week for one term.
- Citizens Advice 1066 CA1066 gives advice to the public – face-to-face, by phone, by webchat/email – on benefits, debt, immigration, employment, legal issues, housing. Training is provided for advice-giving roles. Volunteer roles include:Social media/publicity volunteer to promote service, revamp publicity materials, write newsletter and press releases, develop communications strategy, develop web content; Film-maker to create film exploring how advice-giving has from 1066 to 2016, and encouraging young people to use the service; Adviser; Office admin assistant.
Time commitment: 7 hours a week for one year (except film-maker role).
- Snowflake Shelter Prepare the night shelter (which might include any/all of food preparation, setting up camp beds, dining tables etc, setting out games/newspapers), engaging with Guests in a non-judgemental manner so as to engender respect and self esteem, supervising overnight, preparing and serving light refreshments through the night and a light breakfast in the morning, and packing away the shelter and its kit into the Trust’s van ready for transport to the next location for the following night’s shelter. From end November 2016 to potentially end March 2017. The Shelter operates three shifts per night – evening, night and morning.
Time commitment: One shift a week.
Location: Various church halls across Hastings.
- Support Volunteer, Autism Sussex Autism Sussex is an independent, not for profit organisation and registered charity, whose aim is to provide a range of opportunities for children, young people and adults with autistic spectrum conditions. Roebuck House is a Day Centre in the Old Town of Hastings, where volunteers support the course leader of various activities including art, music, drama, photography, cooking and computer skills.
Time commitment: One morning or afternoon a week (flexible) for 6 months (timings can be flexible)
- Green Gym Volunteer Officer, The Conservation Volunteers (TCV) Every day TCV works across the UK to create healthier and happier communities for everyone – communities where its activities have a lasting impact on people’s health, prospects and outdoorplaces. TCV hold Green Gyms, fun and free outdoor sessions where participants are guided in practical activities such as planting trees, sowing meadows and establishing wildlife ponds. Volunteers work with the Sussex Team Leader to deliver Green Gym sessions across Hastings & Rother, promote the Green Gym and TCV’s Green Exercise offer and fundraise for new Green Gym projects.
Time commitment: One day a month for minimum of 3 months.
Location: Hastings and surrounding area.
Apply or find out more
Contact the University of Brighton’s Volunteering Service, Active Student: https://about.brighton.ac.uk/careers/volunteer/
Search for other roles
Use the University’s Vacancy Service: pcn.prospects.ac.uk/brighton