New and returning student FAQs – September 2023
How do I activate my university account?
Activating your university account is part of the enrolment process. To activate your account you’ll need your 8-digit student number, which you can find in your welcome email/letter.
I’ve forgotten my password
Here’s the link to reset your password.
How do I connect to the internet?
On your device, select Eduroam from the list of networks. You’ll then be prompted to enter your eduroam username. This is your username followed by @brighton.ac.uk, for example ABC12@brighton.ac.uk
How do I enrol?
Once you have activated your university account, you can then complete online enrolment via Student View. As part of completing enrolment, you’ll need a recent passport-style colour photo of your head and shoulders against a plain background for your unicard.
Your face should be clearly visible, without obstructions such as hair, hats, sunglasses, or flash – but smiling is fine!
For more info about enrolment, please see our webpage for more info.
What is My Brighton?
My Brighton is our student portal. It brings together your email, calendar and timetable, study modules and lots more – all in one place.
How do I access My Brighton?
Where do I collect my unicard from?
You’ll need to upload a photo to the unicard section in My Brighton.
- If you’re moving into university halls of residence, you’ll be issued with your unicard on arrival.
- If you’re not moving into halls, you can pick your unicard up on Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 September from Cockcroft Hall. From Wednesday 27 September you can collect your unicard from the Student Information Desk on the ground floor of Cockcroft Building on our Moulsecoomb campus.
When will I receive my student loan?
If you’ve completed your online enrolment, your student loan will be received:
- Returning students: Monday 25 September 2023
- New students: Once you’ve collected your unicard in person, you’ll receive your student loan the next working day
If you’ve collected your unicard and you do not receive your loan, please contact the Student Information Desk on the ground floor of Cockcroft Building.
Do I have to attend an in-person enrolment session?
Yes, all international students will need to meet with the Visa Compliance team. The team will be in Cockcroft Hall between Thursday 21 September and Friday 29 September, 9:30am – 4:00pm. You must attend with your passport and visa/proof of right to study.
If you arrive outside of the dates above, you are required to take your documents to the Student Information Desk on the ground floor of Cockcroft Building.
Where can I find my timetable?
You can view your timetable within the calendar function on My Brighton.
Why is my timetable empty?
- Returning students: To view your timetable, you must have completed your online enrolment. Your full timetable will be available from Tuesday 19 September.
- New students: Your full timetable will be visible from Tuesday 26 September if you’ve completed your enrolment.
If you still cannot see your timetable, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can I see my modules?
You can access your modules via MyStudies, the virtual learning environment (VLE). You can access MyStudies via My Brighton.
Why don’t I have any modules listed in MyStudies?
- Returning students: To view your modules, you must have completed your online enrolment. Your modules will populate the day after you completed your enrolment.
- New students: Your modules will be visible from Tuesday 26 September, if you’ve completed your online enrolment.
If you can still not see your modules, please email email@example.com
Changing an elective module or timetabled group
How do I request a change to an elective module or a timetabled group?
Via My Brighton select Studies and select ‘My School’. On the School of Business and Law sharepoint site you can view information on how to request a swap, which will require you to complete an online MS form.