School of Business and Law

Inspiring journeys to work

LLB Law graduate Jasmin in her graduation robe

Law LLB graduate Jasmin on how she secured her legal career

Jasmin Brown graduated from our Law LLB(Hons) degree this summer and is now working as a paralegal in the Commercial/Corporate Department at Mayo Wynne Baxter, a Sussex-based law firm. 

We caught up with her about what it was like on the course and how she kick-started her career in the legal profession. 

“The degree itself went really well for me. In my second year I got my first job in legal tech but at the end of my final year I spoke with one of my lecturers about options moving forward, as I had a lot of other avenues I wanted to explore in the legal industry.” 

“That was when I joined Mayo Wynne Baxter and left the legal tech side of things to gain experience working internally within a firm to continue building my legal knowledge.”  

Mayo Wynne Baxter recently merged with another firm, Shakespeare Martineau, plus legal and professional services group Ampa.  

“They’re aiming to incorporate more technology. My background is in legal tech so that really appealed to me,” explains Jasmin.  

“Their corporate department was just made up of three partners, so I was the first hire to try and grow that department, now they have support with me as a paralegal. It’s great to be part of that growth.” 

Studying during the pandemic removed a lot of in-person opportunities to network so Jasmin had to work hard to put her name out there while studying.  

“I spoke a lot with my lecturers about opportunities. I participated in so many webinars and attended law fair events to get my name out there. 

“Our whole degree was during the pandemic, so I had to push that little bit harder to have coffee calls and reach out to people on LinkedIn for a chat.” 

@lawandlife_

It helped me 😅 #fyp #foryoupage #legalcareer #lawtok #law

♬ original sound – lawandlife_

She also has Instagram and TikTok accounts with the handle @lawandlife_ that showcase what it’s like to work in corporate firm.  

She regularly shares her top tips and advice for people wanting to get into the legal profession with her 4,000 followers.  

“The content focus on my channels has shifted from studying to what it’s like working in corporate law, as the two are so far removed from each other.” 

During her degree Jasmin won a number of awards, including the academic excellence award in her first year, and an award in her second year for her contribution to the student experience due to her input as president of the Brighton University Law Society. 

“I’ve had a really good relationship with my lecturers throughout my whole three years. Particularly through the pandemic my lecturer was so helpful in jumping on 121s with me and going over my work. 

“That’s how I got my academic excellence award, through the close support and mentoring.”  

Jasmin is now working with her firm and lecturers at the University of Brighton to help create some more events for current Brighton law students.  

@lawandlife_

More accessibility to non russell groups please! 🤩🙌🏼 #law #lawcareer #legalcareer #lawtok #diversityandinclusion

♬ youre welcome – 🍪

“I noticed the opportunity for a lot of law events tend to go more to Russell Group universities, so now I’m working on creating events and careers talks for future Brighton students to attend.” 

When thinking about the past three years, Jasmin is ready to take some of the pressure off herself for a little bit.  

“I came back to education to become a lawyer. It’s been a fantastic experience and got me to where I wanted to be. 

“The goal is to be a solicitor but I’m trying to take a bit of pressure off myself at the moment. In a year I hope to be starting the SQE (Solicitors Qualifying Examination), but I need to build my experience and connections within my current firm before I do so.”  

Stay up to date with what Jasmin is currently doing by following @lawandlife_ on Instagram and TikTok. 

alumnicareerCareersemploymentgraduateGraduatesgraudationlawlaw firmlegal careerlegal companylegal professionlegal techlegal technologyLLB

Zoe Cassell • September 2, 2022