School of Business and Law

Inspiring journeys to work

Tsun Lam

Not sure if you want to study Accounting and Finance?

Deciding which course to take? Trying to find out what sort of area to study around the Accounting and Finance BSc(Hons) degree? You might find this post handy.

The course I chose to study got exemption from ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA, AIA and ICEAW. They might sound scary to you but they are a bunch of accountant’s qualifications. You can choose one out of five after your graduation and work further on.

Year 1 is  to introduce students into the business world and exploring some fundamental accounting techniques. People always ask if I am going to be an accountant then why would I need to study a Human Resources (HR) module or maybe an economics module. I think there is some core fundamental knowledge and some soft skills that you should learnt as an accountant. Moreover, these skills are transferrable. They can still benefit you even if you don’t want to be an accountant.

Financial accounting and Management accounting would be the two main accounting module that you will be learning throughout your degree. (They are known as Financial Reporting: Theory and Practice and Management Control system under the third year module tab.) Financial Skills will gear you up with some fundamental statistical mathematics skills to help you out through the course and Academic and Profession skills module will help you more on writing area.

I would like to highlight the importance of Economics and the HR modules. I like to invest time into myself and learn some new skills or information about the market. Thus, I always look up for opportunities through various networks. Once I was in the London Town Hall networking with company CEOs and other important people, they were actually having discussion about inflation and unemployment and they brought up the Philip Model and chatting around it the table. I remembered I learnt these from the Economic module and I said what I have understood and we had a night long of lovely conversation around macroeconomics. Culture which I learnt a bit from the HR module actually helped with my interpersonal skills.

In my second year of studies, I chose Financial Modelling and Dealing as my optional module. It gave me a wider application of my year 1 economics knowledge, allowing me to understand how the market works making it easier to build a financial model. Financial Management gave a brief insight of the financial world and Business Ethics and Law module are modules that help us to learn the legal and ethical practice around the business sector. This could be helpful if you had an interest in the compliance field.

To find out more information, you are more than welcome to contact the undergraduate office of business school.

Good luck!
Tsun Lam

ACCAAccounting and FinanceProfessional exemptions

Tsun Lam • June 4, 2020