Managing stress at exam time: Top student tips
We spoke to our students to compile the top six things to do to overcome stress during exam time.
- It’s Ok to talk! Tell someone if you’re struggling. Don’t let it build up.
- Never forget to call home.
- A problem shared is a problem halved – remember you’re not the only one!
- Take the time to cook and eat meals with friends
- Don’t be scared to talk about it – you don’t have to go through it alone.
- If stressed I spend 10 minutes talking to mum and grab a cuppa too.
2. Find ways to relax and unwind!
- Taking a day to myself…
- Remain calm, take a walk, chat with friends at the end of the day.
- Meditation / Do yoga
- Sleep well and wake up fresh
- Pop some essential oils in the bath.
- I go swimming in Brighton – it’ £1 for a student swim and it’s very relaxing!
- Exercise keeps the mind stimulated.
- I am trying to keep on a healthy diet consisting of balanced meals.
- Schedule exercise into your timetable.
- Get outside – go for a walk or run.
- Drink loads of water!
- Eat plenty of fruit and veg!
- Drink green tea instead of coffee / cut down on caffeine.
- Go for a long bike ride.
4. Stay organised
- Manage your time effectively – do not overwork.
- Make a plan and stick to it – take regular breaks (45-minute session – 15-minute break)
- Keep a normal sleeping schedule during revision and before exams – 6-8 hours.
- Break tasks down into manageable chunks – set daily goals and take it step by step.
- Organisation and time management is the key to success.
- Make sure you balance your study time with work and leisure.
- Don’t leave things to the last minute – if you do, talk to someone!
- Reward yourself when you achieve your goals.
- Listening to music and dancing
- Watching the sunset on the beach and long walks by the sea…
- Spend time with friends. Make a nice playlist.
- Poetry helps.
- Don’t give up your hobbies and family time.
- Bake something and sing along while you do it – de-stress and also get a yummy snack!
- Do fun things to de-stress, e.g. cinema/shopping.
- Don’t feel guilty about a cheeky bit of Netflix!
6. Stay positive
- Sing and smile every day
- Be confident. Love yourself.
- Adopt a winning mindset! Don’t let people put you down.
- Do not stress too much and let it take over.
- Write motivational notes / look at quotes that inspire you!
- Stay calm – you will make it through the exams soon. Good luck!