Centre for Aquatic Environments

News and events from the Centre for Aquatic Environments

Meet Our Newest Member – Dr Lorna Linch

Our newest member Dr Lorna Linch has written a blog to introduce herself please join us in welcoming her to the Centre for Aquatic Environments

“My research interests are in glacial and periglacial processes, cold climate geomorphology, reconstructing Quaternary Environments, sedimentology and micromorphology. I am passionate about the environment and inspired by the outdoors – particularly mountainous and cold environments. My research has taken me to many exciting, and often breath-taking, locations in both the UK (e.g. Scotland, Wales, Dartmoor, Norfolk, The Lake District etc.) and abroad (e.g. Austria, Arctic Russia, Belgium, Canada, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Japan, Singapore, Svalbard etc.).

Currently I am involved in three major research strands:

(i) iceberg-keel scouring processes in aquatic environments (lacustrine and marine); (ii) macro- and microscopic sediment deformation (glacial and periglacial); and (iii) reconstructing glacial processes/environments.

I have played a key role in the conception, design and delivery of several collaborative research projects. For example, I have been Principal Investigator (PI) on projects investigating: (1) iceberg-keel scouring in aquatic environments in Antarctica, Canada, Greenland, The North Sea and Sweden; (2) the glacial history of the Kola Peninsula, Arctic Russia; and (3) mapping and quantifying sedimentary and geological structures using the Metripol microscopic method. As PI I am currently preparing projects in, for example, the micromorphology of periglacial ramparted depressions (pingos, palsas, lithalsas) in Norfolk. In addition, I am involved with other projects such as glacial reconstruction in central Ireland. I have primary supervised a University-funded PhD project examining periglacial ramparted depressions, and I am currently primary supervising a second University-funded PhD project investigating glaciation of the Kola Peninsula and Russian Lapland in Arctic Russia.

As part of these projects I collaborate with some of the world’s most highly esteemed Quaternary, glacial and sedimentology scientists from institutions such as the British Antarctic Survey, the British Geological Survey, Brock University (Canada), Brunel University, C-CORE Research & Development (Canada), the Kola Science Centre (Russia), Manchester Metropolitan University, the National University of Singapore, the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Queen Mary University of London, the Scott Polar Research Institute (University of Cambridge), and the Universities of Aberdeen, Hertfordshire and Stockholm”

Suzanne Armsden • September 21, 2021