Apprenticeships at Brighton

Karen Jefford, Andrew Ayres, Laura Williams

Start your journey towards an MBA with a Senior Leader Degree Apprenticeship

Apprentices from a wider range of sectors including Education, Healthcare, Events and Charity can achieve the new Senior Leader Apprenticeship Award, which is based on the long-running and highly successful MBA programme, awarded by the University of Brighton.

Karen Jefford is Chief Operating Officer for the charity Building Heroes, which supports military service leavers in new career paths.

“I’m halfway through, and already I’ve seen a change in the way I apply new knowledge, how I support individuals and I’m more focussed on my strategy for everyday operations – I can already see the transformation after only a year.”

By blending part-time university study with work-based learning this programme will enable talented managers in any sector or profession to take the next big step on their career path. Andrew Ayres works as Quality Director for Rewards Training, which offers different levels of apprenticeships across a range of sectors including health and social care, hospitality and leadership and management.

“After almost 10 years out of education, I wanted to do this apprenticeship to future-proof my own skillset and apply it to being able to lead my organisation forward. I was aware of the programme and then read about the levy-transfer scheme through Brighton and Hove City Council, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity and my company was able to use that funding.

“I was able to write one of my assessments about an exact scenario that was happening within my organisation which was really useful. Apprenticeships are a great opportunity for employers to bring in fresh ideas and thinking by new people coming into the company.”

All coursework is based on real projects for the apprentices’ own organisation, and from day one, will gain an enhanced sense of perspective by looking at their company and role through the lens of each subject area and bring tangible solutions to existing issues using the skills and behaviours they study at university.

Laura Williams is Event Services Manager at University of Brighton, who originally joined the university as an Events and Conference Coordinator:

“The apprenticeship has allowed me to progress to a managerial role – I’ve been able to apply what we learn on the programme directly to my role, which really aids the learning journey and practical insight, and in turn helps me in my job role.

“It’s given me the tools to develop my knowledge and provide career progression in a job I love. We’ve actually applied new work-based financial strategies as a direct outcome of findings on one of my assignments on the apprenticeship. It’s been invaluable – if you want to further your career, I would say absolutely do it.”

Much of the content is based on the university’s well-established MBA programme, and upon completion of the apprenticeship, you can choose a fee paying ‘top up’ to the full MBA award.

Find out more about our Senior Leader Degree Apprenticeship:

https://www.brighton.ac.uk/business-services/professional-development/apprenticeships/business-and-management/senior-leader-apprenticeship.aspx

(From left to right; Karen Jefford, Andrew Ayres, Laura Williams)

Apprenticeshipcareercareer developmentcareer progressiondegree apprenticeshipsleadershipprogressionSenior Leadersenior management

Alex Petrovic • 28/10/2022