Apprenticeships at Brighton

Karen Jefford with quote from the blog

NAW 2022 – Balancing act but rewards of masters degree are evident

“This is my first masters, I wish I had the opportunity to have done this in my earlier career. That said I think education is for everybody at any age, I am proof of that, I’m not a young student by far – I don’t mind saying I’ve just hit the ripe age of fifty. I think I have a bigger appetite for information and developing myself now, more than ever. My first degree was about ten years ago, in careers information, advice and guidance, I studied this alongside a full-time job working as a leader in a secondary school setting.  

“I then took a career move from education into the third sector. I took what I thought was going to be a sideward move and two years into the job, my CEO saw that I had the attributes required to be a leader. The reason for doing this leadership programme is to support me in filling gaps within my skill set and professional development, with a view I could support my CEO and become his successor. 

“My CEO suggested a programme like this would be good for me, so I went away and did the research and found this one at the University of Brighton. What I liked about the apprenticeship route was the ability to mix with other likeminded people with the combination of being in a lecture environment, working on everyday scenarios and being able to apply what we’re learning in the workplace. I’m halfway through and already I’ve seen a change in the way I apply new knowledge, how I support individuals and I’m more focussed in my strategy for everyday operations. 

“My background has been in organisations with hierarchy, and I think having done this course, I have changed my perception of how important every member of staff is and how they contribute to a business. I think for me now, hierarchy isn’t the way to go as my leadership direction. I think I will be more inclusive of the team. That’s a completely changed position from where I’ve come from, and I think it will help me become a better leader. I’m more aware of the needs, morals and ethics of business and individuals, whereas before, you’re down there on the ground doing the job without a thought to the importance of how everyone plays their part to deliver on the outcomes and mission of the business.  

“I’ve got to say, it’s been a bit of a job balancing study, work and home life – but wow, I can already see the transformation after only a year. People must be prepared to dedicate the time – but it’s two years of worthwhile commitment and I’d highly recommend it. I just wish I had the leader I have now who has supported and encouraged this journey.  Something I will consider when I am supporting the development of others.  

“My CEO can already see the transformation in me and I have become a support network to him, becoming more solution focused. As a result of the apprenticeship, I am more confident, goal orientated and have a solid direction of where I want the business to go, rather than just doing the job. I want to be the driving force of the charity I work for and encourage my team to achieve great things. 

“If you want to challenge yourself, if you want to grow, if you want to become more confident and you’ve got a hunger for knowledge, definitely do a programme like this. I am viewing business differently, and I am confident with the knowledge I have and how to apply it to develop myself and a business. For sure, this apprenticeship has supported me, and given me the skill set that I was missing.” 

Progress your career with a Senior Leader apprenticeship:

https://www.brighton.ac.uk/business-services/professional-development/apprenticeships/business-and-management/senior-leader-apprenticeship.aspx

ApprenticeshipBuild the futurecareercareer progressionCEOCOOdegree apprenticeshipsexecutiveleadershipmanagementNAW2022progressionSenior Leadersenior management

Alex Petrovic • 04/02/2022