Graduates 2023: Iara Talledo Violani: 3D Design and Craft

“There is a strong sense of community here and I think that makes the course even more amazing.”

Inspired by the modernist SESC Pompeia building in São Paulo, on one of my visits with my Brazilian family, I recall hearing that the shapes of the windows had been “randomly smashed out by a sledgehammer.” This “chaotic” and “unpredictable” approach to create something unique has been my driving force throughout the project, challenging my natural gravitation towards perfection and perfectionism.

After creating individual elements on the potter’s wheel, I reject the customary gentleness with which people treat soft, newly thrown pieces and instead collide them to create colourful collages. This method creates unique piles of shapes where I cannot predict how the clay will collapse and deform into each other upon contact.

By working through this project, I have avoided falling into the vicious cycle of seeking perfection – something unattainable – and relaxed into working more intuitively.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

I felt very lost before joining this course. I didn’t have a material specialism or know exactly what I liked to make, I just knew I wanted a course that valued craft technique and makers.

3D Design and Craft has been everything I wanted and needed as a craftsperson. We have fantastic technicians and academic staff that really encourage you to discover your unique interests and approach to art, design and craft. The workshops are outstanding too.

As I transferred straight into 2nd year from a different university, I was also blown away by how warm and welcoming all my peers were, not just in my own year but in the other years too. There is a strong sense of community here and I think that makes the course even more amazing.

It’s such a special course and I’m so happy I chose it.

Did you go on a placement or ? If so could you tell us about it – what were your takeaways?

I took a placement year between my previous course and arriving here, working at Shepherds Bookbinders in London. I mostly sewed books but I also learnt how to take down, repair and rebind a book.

While working there, I learnt that no matter how niche your craft, there will always be people interested in your work.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

Absolutely. I had only ever lived in central London and didn’t visit much else of the UK. It’s lovely to live somewhere smaller where things are usually within walking distance, especially the beach!

The sea can be a wonderful source of inspiration for creative work too.

I’ll be taking part in the 2nd week of New Designers from the 5th – 8th of July. I’ll then move back home to London and find a job, hopefully working with ceramics!

I’m also applying to lots of artist opportunities like prizes and residencies.

Long term, I’d love to teach ceramics to people that usually would never have the chance to, especially people from lower income backgrounds and inner-city state school kids.

If you could give your 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be?

Vulnerability is actually a great thing to express in your work – it’s something that makes us human.

Also keep trying and keep persevering always!

Follow Iara on Instagram

Accompanying leaflet/portfolio for the project

Find out more about 3D Design and Craft

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram