Graduates 2023: Reka Ujvari: Printmaking

“It’s never too late to start university and choose a course that you would enjoy doing. I started my BA as a mature student – I was 28 – and I felt very good about my choice, I wasn’t just doing this degree to stay in school and to “do what I meant to do” but because I truly wanted to do it.”

My current practice and the body of work I am presenting at the Graduate Show revolves around family, memory and forgetting. I am particularly interested in the way that the image may evoke the impermanence of memory, making images that change, fragment, and fade over time. The process I put through my images/photos is a reflection of how our memories are constantly changing over time. My main influences for this body of work were Christian Boltanski and Brooks Shane Salzwedel.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

I have done a printmaking course previously for two years back in Hungary and I fell in love with printmaking. When I attended the open day/ interview for printmaking, I was amazed by the workshop and the resources, so I have to say, I choose the course because of the workshop in the first place. I really enjoyed the course, all of my lecturers were absolutely amazing, knowledgeable and helpful. The workshop was great, I learnt a lot and experimented various printmaking techniques until I found the one that I enjoyed the most. I am especially grateful for the printmaking technician team, without them we would not graduate now. They were the biggest help through these three years, they helped us in everything while teaching us more and more about printmaking, because there is always something new to learn.

Was the location of Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

The location wasn’t really important when I was choosing the university, I was focusing on finding a course I would enjoy doing for three years.

I will either go straight to do my master’s or skip a year and then continue my studies.

If you could give you 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be?

It’s never too late to start university and choose a course that you would enjoy doing. I started my BA as a mature student – I was 28 – and I felt very good about my choice, I wasn’t just doing this degree to stay in school and to “do what I meant to do” but because I truly wanted to do it.

Instagram

My illustration Instagram is @rekaillustrates

Find out more about Fine Art Printmaking

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram