Graduates 2023: Sara Paowana: Fine Art

“I would say to 16 year old Sara that university has been a rite of passage and has provided someone like me from a working class, mixed heritage background many opportunities in the creative field.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences 

I am a multidisciplinary conceptual fine artist, largely working with ceramics, sculptures, and interactive installation. My artworks often combine language and text to formulate a cultural narrative that responds to diasporic identity and interchange of dual nationality.

As a critical engaged artist, I frequently highlight the increasingly globalised world and the effect of Westernisation to indigenous cultures from the East, particularly Thailand.  My work aims to explore the multifaceted layers of Thai-British identity and what that encompasses in the everchanging contemporary world. I seek to highlight the significance of agricultural heritage to the Isaan region and the harsh juxtaposition of Westernized values and capital emerging into Thai indigenous villages. The employment of rice in my artwork provides a historical and cultural narrative into primitive rice farming and the emergence of Western intervention of capitalistic gains to commercialising rice globally.

The contextual framework of the 60’s introduced a substantial critique on Western consumption and commoditization which is also in line with post-Modernist critique of globalization. My ideas often stem in response to the pervasive force of western hegemony and the process in which this erases certain aspects of indigenous identity.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it? 

Studying Fine Art for the past 3 years has significantly developed my critical understanding of the arts and in exchange I was able to formulate a personal connection to my art practice. I particularly chose to study at Brighton solely because they had a Fine Art Sculpture course running, but this was not the case when I enrolled because the course discontinued. So I entered Fine Art (new course) with open arms and no expectations.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be? 

I always considered location being the biggest factor in most of my decisions, choosing Brighton was an easy decision. Brighton being located by the coast and having a cultural hub was most important to me.

Did you do a placement? If so could you tell us a bit about it. 

I remember doing a studio in residence placement in 2nd Year and that included in turning your studio space into an exhibition space for the public. This comprised of curatorial skills and exhibition making which began my interest in curation.

What are your plans after graduation? 

My plan is to rest and take a year out of education whilst finding a placement/internship at a gallery? Then study a Masters in Curation in London…

If you could give you 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be? 

I would say to 16 year old Sara that university has been a rite of passage and has provided someone like me from a working class, mixed heritage background many opportunities in the creative field

Follow Sara on Instagram

Find out more about BA(Hons) Fine Art

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram