Graduates 2023: Finn Gayton: Fine Art

“I always wanted to do my studies in Brighton as I knew that I liked the city and that it had a good arts department for a university outside of London. It is a great city to live in as a student.”

My Degree show piece, Delivery boy, is an interactive video installation exploring people’s experiences working for various delivery companies in the gig economy. Viewers are invited to take on the role of a delivery rider by riding on a exercise style bike whilst viewing a point of view video of a rider making a takeaway delivery. The film features testimony from people who have recently worked as delivery drivers or riders.

I am a multidisciplinary artist who creates paintings, sculptures, and installations. My practice focuses on work, employment and their relationship dynamics . I  explore identities that occur from different types of work, considering how we could change or improve these societal structures. I  hope to make work that is the catalyst for conversations and innovative ideas without claiming to have all the answers. Through my work I try to  bring an element of fun and entertainment and humour to serious topics. I am influenced by working life and social structures as well as politically engaged artists such as Banksy and Greyson Perry.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

I have enjoyed the course despite the difficult start I had during the covid pandemic. It has a really open scope which allows you to develop in the direction you want, what ever that may be. I chose the course because it was an open fine art course which would allow for exploration and experimentation.  I also wanted to live in Brighton.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

I always wanted to do my studies in Brighton as I knew that I liked the city and that it had a good arts department for a university outside of London. It is a great city to live in as a student.

After I graduate, I am planning to stay at the university of Brighton to continue my studies on the Fine art MA. This is because I want to keep living and making art in Brighton as well as a feeling that my uni time has been a little short due to covid and I can still develop within an institution .

If you could give you 16-year-old self any advice about going to University, what would it be?

Don’t expect it to be the social success that they sell it to you as. That happens for some and not for others. Choosing a degree that will keep you engaged is the most important thing.

Follow Finn on Instagram

Find out more about BA(Hons) Fine Art

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram