Thinking of choosing a media course?

Hear from Viktorija a third year Media Production student and student ambassador.

My decision to study media production at Brighton was mainly influenced by the university’s state-of-the-art facilities. Working on projects with fellow students is something I enjoy, such as completing a music video in the TV studio. The majority of my course is practical, and any theory must be applied, so I found the workload and modules a good fit for my learning style. I need to put my thoughts into action since I think quickly and want to create stuff all the time. 

Uni is so different to college 

University is far more independent than college. I recall teachers would tell me to study outside class at college, but today I continually set aside time for deadlines. Another difference is lecturers are more approachable at university. I can have discussions with lecturers over coffee and learn more about the subjects. 

I’ve learnt teamwork 

In the first year I learnt to work in groups, and this helped me understand people’s strengths and limitations, and communicate effectively as a team member or leader. Organisation has been a major factor throughout my course. An example was preproduction, where we had to fill out health and safety documents, storyboard scripts, shortlists and other documents needed for shooting days. 

We support each other 

It was challenging to adjust to university life, but I always had the support of my lecturers, who were compassionate in person and online. It’s reassuring to know everyone is in the same boat. My fellow students are available for support and advice, and lecturers offer assistance quickly. I encourage other students and prospective students in my role as a student ambassador. Everyone learns from one another’s errors in the media production industry, and if you don’t support one another, a project can break apart very fast. 

I’m learning to manage my time 

I haven’t yet come across a student who manages to juggle everything. Balancing work, study, social life and family life all at once – it’s important to learn to schedule well. I always use a calendar and diary to plan ahead. I’ve developed the habit of writing to-do lists on my whiteboard. I use two different colours and divide the board into two sections: one for home and education tasks, and the other for tasks I frequently overlook, like self-care and doing my favourite things. 

A placement boosts my career prospects 

We had a placements module in the second year. To proceed to this placement, we learnt how to enhance our portfolio, understand industry-related CVs, and the interview process. The placement module helped me realise that I didn’t want to work in the film or television industry, but rather wanted to focus more on marketing, content creation and online presence. None of this would have been possible without the placement module. 

As a media student, I’ve been fortunate to have a placement team that helps me and my course with all inquiries about careers.  It’s always wonderful to ask them questions or even seek for guidance because they have the experience and knowledge of working in the media sector. My lecturers have also served as role models for career pathways because they have all worked or still work within the industry. 

Positive vibes
Everyone who relocates to Brighton mentions the same thing: this city and its people have such positive vibes. Living in Brighton is fantastic in every way. Everyone can find something to do in this city, whether they prefer the nightlife, the beach, the Lanes, or something else entirely. I just really like knowing that I can always count on Brighton to make me feel better and get me ready for another day after class.