kristian floate

Thinking about choosing our Music Business and Media degree?

Hear from student Kristian who says: “On the course I’ve found myself recording a podcast, conducting a brand proposal, developing a new music innovation, recording promotional videos and so much more. Plus, I still work with my placement company on their social media , so it was definitely a worthwhile opportunity!”

Hi Kristian, thanks for speaking to us…

Can you tell us how you discovered the Music Business and Media degree at Brighton, and what convinced you to apply?

“After conducting extensive research into different music-related courses at universities across the South East, I realised that Music Business appealed to me most, as the behind-the-scenes logistical side of the industry was something I could imagine securing a career in after graduation!.

“Music Business appealed to me as the behind-the-scenes logistical side of the industry was something I could imagine securing a career in after graduation!”

“More specifically, by studying Music Business and Media, the course wasn’t as music heavy, and introduced me to both theoretical and practical sides of the industry in a new and exciting way. The deal was sealed when I realised the course was brand new, so I’d be studying with current resources!”

What A levels had you done beforehand?

“I had previously studied at East Sussex College Lewes, securing A-Levels in Geography, Media, and Music Technology. My enjoyment of both Media and Music Technology fuelled my interest in taking my studies to University level, and to see a degree available only a short distance away from my hometown – I applied straight away!”

Tell us about your favourite parts of the course…

“Music Business and Media provides the freedom to cater the degree to my specific interests – and I’ve found myself recording a podcast, conducting a brand proposal, developing a new music innovation, recording promotional videos and so much more!

“Music Business and Media provides the freedom to cater the degree to my specific interests – and I’ve found myself recording a podcast, conducting a brand proposal, developing a new music innovation, recording promotional videos and so much more!”

“That’s my favourite part about the degree, being able to personalise it and stay engaged with my studies with a variety of academic and practical modules to choose from!”

Have you done a placement, and how was it?

“I completed a 4-week industry placement back in January ’22 with a North London based artist development company called SAFO Music Group. I was lucky enough to execute my own projects, liaise with artists and deep dive into the busy life of a music studio in the capital! I still work with the company with their social media activities to this day, so it was definitely a worthwhile opportunity!”

“After uni I’m looking to use my passion for Brighton’s music scene to keep performing in my band, developing my music analytics and discovery tool start-up, and securing a career that involves working with artists and watching them flourish”

Tell us about your experience of living and studying in Brighton…

“I’ve always lived near Brighton, and after moving into the city during my second year, I haven’t looked back! The community here is so welcoming and supportive, with an incredible music scene to complement my studies and make valuable industry connections. With regular buses, trains and opportunities to stay active on foot, Brighton is so well-connected so you’re never far from something weird and whacky to do!”

What are your ambitions for your career post uni?

“After university, I’m looking on using my passion for Brighton’s music scene to keep performing in my band, developing my start-up www.Rankd.uk, a music analytics and discovery tool, and securing a career that involves working with artists and watching them flourish – whether it be with a venue, promoter, label, events organiser or radio station to name a few.”

Find out more about studying Music Business and Media BA(Hons) at the University of Brighton.