Graduates 2022: Lucy Lavender: Inclusive Arts Practice MA

“I have loved my time at Brighton. Jayne and Jo, our course leaders have been fantastic. They have really lived up to the course mentality of inclusivity by being extremely flexible to help prevent exclusion on days when having a new baby made it hard to join in.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

My work has been influenced massively by having my first baby back in July 2021. I use to illustrate by hand only. So when Luna came along, it became hard to do that. To find a way around the demands of breastfeeding a new baby, and still be able to illustrate, I decided to start using my the program ProCreate on my Ipad. I was influenced by the work created during workshops where people with dyslexia collaborated to celebrate how they could tell stories through imagery rather than the written word.

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

I have loved my time at Brighton. Jayne and Jo, our course leaders have been fantastic. They have really lived up to the course mentality of inclusivity by being extremely flexible to help prevent exclusion on days when having a new baby made it hard to join in.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Inclusive Arts Practice?

I chose this course because I wanted to return to working in the art world at the same time as trying to work towards a better society.

What are your plans after graduation?

My plans after graduation is to find a job teaching.

Instagram: @lavenderflowerpot

Visit the Show