Graduates 2022: Gaia Segattini: MA Fine Art

My mood was always in a creative state here, not only because of the help I received, also because our studios are located in a very good position of the city! Seeing the sea while working, is a great motivation booster!

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

My work interests have been developing into two parallel lines:

The first being the road towards the Dream Realm: I feel like I have found great inspiration from the stories and occurrences that take place when our body is resting. In this moment, where the corporeal component is still, the mind goes in a crazy creative state.

The second pathway, is the interest into exploring new kind of Spaces. I let myself think out of the typical rectangle of a canvas: how can I create while emerging out of that frame?

I challenged myself into thinking out of the box: bigger canvas, sculptures growing out of them, cuts, stitches and hole cutting.

My artistic influences are plenty, from illustration artists to classical painters, nature and music.

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

My Fine Arts MA was indeed very interesting and also challenging. It was a different experience from my Bachelor because it was a year packed with information, experiences and creativity.

I also found the technical facilities in the University very prolific: I mainly collaborated with the Tech Hub for my 3d-printed Bees, but there are so many laboratories that can help any kind of artist!

Also, my mood was always in a creative state here, not only because of the help I received, also because our studios are located in a very good position of the city! Seeing the sea while working, is a great motivation booster!

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Fine Art?

I attended a Fine Arts Bachelor in Venice a few years ago, and I really liked to create there, but I felt that I needed to know more about the artistic freedom of a painter, so I decided to take my last year abroad and came at the University of Brighton to further my studies.

What are your plans after graduation?

My plans after the graduation is to immerse myself into my art creation even more.

I will try to find work into some galleries, because I think that I need to learn more about that art world outside the study environment, how to talk with people who are interested in buying creations and anything new that I can discover. I want to be a knowledge-sponge, to absorb as much as possible in order to develop my artistic career.

I’m eager to learn more though, so I think that I want to try also an illustration course in the future.

Gaia’s Instagram: @gaia.artstudio

Find out more about MA Fine Art

Visit the MA Show