Graduates 2022: Ross Campbell: Product Design

“I chose product design as I’ve always had an interest in helping others as well as physical making. The way product design focused on using those skills to change people’s lives drew my attention completely. Brighton’s course, focusing on tackling a social problem to help people, identified it instantly as the right course for me.”

My work has been focused on helping those with issues when it comes to problematic betting on live E-Sports matches by replicating the same highs and heightened emotions through playing in an immersive and competitive E-Sports arena called The Crucible. I chose this topic because I’ve always loved E-Sports as I used to be a player, and I really wanted to explore the area further and discover the problems that surround it.

I have loved my time at Brighton, the course has been really inclusive, and the design studio is a fantastic environment that allows for a sense of community between everyone on the course even if they are not in the same year. On top of this the lecturers are always helpful and by holding the events we have done this year it really adds another fun and engaging dynamic to the course. I’ve seen the course develop a lot from my first year to my final year and I really think it has improved and that the opportunities for any new students will be unrivalled.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Product Design?

I chose product design as I’ve always had an interest in helping others as well as physical making. I loved D&T while I was at school and although I could have gone into an area such as engineering or furniture design to continue with the physical making aspect, the way in which product design focused on using those skills to change people’s lives was something that drew my attention completely. Finally, Brighton’s course always focusing on tackling a social problem to help people, therefore I identified it instantly as the right course for me.

My plans are to go into teaching after I have graduated, this is because I believe that helping young people decide what they want to do and discover their ambitions is something I’d find a lot of fulfilment in. Inspiring the new designers of the future is something that is needed and should be encouraged wherever. That and you get longer holidays!