plate by emma vine

Graduates 22: Emma Vine: 3D Design and Craft

“The course continuously motivated me to push my boundaries, both theoretically and through various materials.”

This project focuses on the social history of Stewartby Brickworks, Bedfordshire, exploring items fit into the community to instigate memories and conversation of what was once the largest brickworks in the world.  Upon the demolition of the final four chimneys in September 2021, there was not very much national media attention, leading me to broaden the knowledge of the brickworks and the individuals who lived and worked there.

I have loved being based in Brighton with its rich colour and culture. The course continuously motivated me to push my boundaries, both theoretically and through various materials. The tutors, technicians, and students on each art course brilliantly work together to create a strong community atmosphere as well as a culture of helping each other.  Working as a student Residential Advisor also helped me to gain confidence and meet new people from other year groups and courses.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study 3D?

I was originally drawn to the variety of disciplines available, from wood, and ceramics, to metal and polymers, as well as the integration of digital design throughout.  Whilst I joined the course with the aim of going into metalwork, I’ve since discovered a love of ceramics which I want to carry forward in my career.

Post-graduation, I hope to continue into postgraduate studies at Brighton, studying MA Craft, whilst building up a ceramics business in Bedfordshire.  I aim to eventually set up my own community workshops, with a similar ethos to that of the university workshops.

Insta: @emmavinedesign

3D Design and Craft BA(Hons) (brighton.ac.uk)

Visit the Graduate Show

Follow us on Insta