Wren Mortimer work - figure at the bus stop

Summer show 2022: Wren Mortimer, Architecture and design integrated foundation year

I have had a great time on the course.  It has taught me to step out of my comfort zone to learn new skills and techniques and explore new ideas. I feel more confident about my work and well prepared for the start of the degree course.

Throughout the year I have completed a wide variety of projects that range from the design of a door handle and a strap on door knocker, to my most recent project which involved redesigning the top floor of Mithras House. Where certain projects have included the study of a particular field of design and/or architecture, I have been drawn to learn more about the work of female designers and architects. Given that architecture is often a male dominated industry, I am keen to learn more about the routes and inspirations of female architects and designers. This has been a particularly interesting and enjoyable element of my studies.

I have found my time on the course and at Brighton amazing! I was familiar with Brighton before coming to this university however since living here I have found that as a place to study and live, Brighton has so much more to offer and experience than I had originally thought. In addition to the lovely beach, I would say my favourite part of Brighton, due to its unique atmosphere and quirkiness, is the Lanes. I really enjoy walking through the Lanes on a sunny day and admiring all the interesting shops, many that are bizarre and unusual.

Not only have I really enjoyed living in Brighton, I have also had a great time on the course.  It has taught me to step out of my comfort zone to learn new skills and techniques and explore new ideas. I feel more confident about my work and well prepared for the start of the degree course. Throughout my time on this course, I have made some great friends and it has been refreshing meeting people with similar interests to me.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Architecture and Design integrated foundation year?

When I decided that I wanted to go to university I didn’t really know which course I wanted to do and I considered several different options – some which were very different to my final choice of course!  I have always had a keen interest in art and creative activities however I only ever pursued them as hobbies and therefore have had no formal education in Art or Design. I did not take them for my A-levels or GCSEs, so when I found this course, I knew it would enable me to develop my skills and build a portfolio to take me on the next step to a degree course.

I can confidently say that not only has this course allowed me to learn and develop my creative skills and understanding, it has also enabled me to learn more about digital design through the use of Vectorworks and InDesign, for example.

I am excited about starting the Interior Architecture degree course in September and I hope that as I progress and learn more about the architecture design opportunities and where my strengths and interests lie, I will have a better idea of which direction to head in. I do not have a future career plan as such and at the moment, I am content, developing my skills and making the most of the opportunities to work on new projects and meet other people with similar interests. One day, I would love to be involved in tiny house projects but for now, I am enjoying my studies and life in Brighton!

Find out more about Architecture and design integrated foundation year

Visit the summer show