Matt Boland work figure on bridge

Summer show 2022: Matt Boland, Architecture and design integrated foundation year

“I’m loving the course and Brighton. I constantly feel a good level of challenge, and like many others thrive under the guidance of the course lecturers.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

It is a new route to a bus stop, that cuts through a pond in a sunken bridge style. It was modelled using a 3D printer and card for the environment, as well as wires for the trees. I also produced a two-point perspective collage in photoshop. My influence for this project was The Moses Bridge in the Netherlands. I’ve also been influenced a lot by Zaha Hadid in other projects.

How are you finding your course and time at Brighton?

I’m loving the course and Brighton. I constantly feel a good level of challenge, and like many others thrive under the guidance of Rob and Stephen, the course lecturers. Brighton is an amazing city, with a lovely seaside and town centre, as well as great transport links to London and elsewhere. It’s an amazing place to be while you study.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Architecture and Design integrated foundation year?

I chose this course as I wanted to develop my skills before going straight into a degree course and see if Architecture was for me. It’s reinforced my interest in it, and I’m very excited to start the course next year.

What do you think your plans will be after graduation?

Graduation is a while away, but I see myself pursuing higher education in Architecture, and getting some work experience.

Find out more about Architecture and design integrated foundation year

Visit the summer show