Graduates 2022: Hannah Tracy: 3D Design and Craft

“I’ve really enjoyed my time on the course as it has given me the opportunity to explore my own creative process and interests in craft.”

My final collection aims to combine aspects of sculpture with functional furniture, reflecting feelings and sensations connotated with nature through the form and texture. The collection is inspired by a hiking trip to Corfu last summer where I photographed cairns in coastal caves. I am also influenced by nature-based design, haptics, Wabi sabi and traditional wood working techniques.

I’ve really enjoyed my time on the course as it has given me the opportunity to explore my own creative process and interests in craft. It’s been great having access to the wood workshop and other facilities, especially this year with Covid restrictions being lifted.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study 3D?

I heard about the course through friends a couple years after I had moved to Brighton. Having worked in the furniture making industry previously I was keen to explore my own design and making process. I felt that studying would provide me with the opportunity and time to understand what and how I wanted to make.

After graduating my plan is to work for a furniture maker to continue to learn and broaden my skillset. I also hope to take on some commissions in the near future and eventually have my own workshop to focus and grow my own practice.

Find out more about BA(Hons) 3D Design and Craft

Visit the Graduate Show