Graduates 2022: Doona Rhee: Film

“Over my three years at Brighton, I have been encouraged by my tutors to nurture my talents in subject areas where they have seen potential, which has helped me developed my confidence and professional skill.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

During my time studying film I have specialised in editing and screenwriting, writing scripts which tend to be unusual – often with themes of psychological horror in tandem with the supernatural. My university projects have been especially influenced by filmmakers Charlie Kaufman and Alex Garland as well as manga artists such as Junji Ito.

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

Over my three years at Brighton, I have been encouraged by my tutors to nurture my talents in subject areas where they have seen potential, which has helped me developed my confidence and professional skills. The contacts and friends I have gained from my time here will continue to support me as I explore work in film.

Completing my degree has pushed me to improve my approach to work constantly and I couldn’t have met these challenges without a passion for my subject.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Film?

Watching films and working on film projects with my friends prior to this course were some of my greatest sources of enjoyment. The process of working on a film and seeing it to fruition is a feeling like no other. I was compelled to learn more about the art involved in the creation of my favourite films.

What are your plans after graduation?

I’d like to explore work experience in stop-motion animation to see if it’s a good fit; stop-motion animation films have inspired me in my creativity from a young age. I will also chase up contacts I made on my work placement module to pursue running work in the art department as I enjoyed the creative, hands-on nature of set dressing during this experience.

Follow Doona on Instagram: @doonarheefilm

See Doona’s film work

Find out more about BA(Hons) Film

Visit the Graduate Show