Graduates 2022: Daisy Horne: Fashion Communication

“Each project challenged me in a unique way. I have grown in confidence as the years have gone by and I feel I will leave a completely different person from the girl who walked through Grand Parade’s doors four years ago!”

My final major project bloomed from my interest in colour and the psychology behind it. I like to analyse why certain colours are utilised to reflect specific contexts, emotions and behaviours. This turned into forecasting colour schemes for the coming future. To refine this topic, my focus shifted to the most influential and significant consumer group of our zeitgeist, Generation Z (10-25 years old). Defining three micro trends and two macro trends using Gen Z’s shifting behaviours and thoughts towards their future as a base for the colours I selected. I utilised my skills in styling and art direction to portray the colours in a fashion context, selecting Gen Z models to shoot. Key drivers that were frequently identified for my trends included the climate crisis, as well as the mental wellbeing movement that has grown over the last few years.

This course has opened so many doors for me. It has been a great place to learn and connect with new people. Each project challenged me in a unique way. I have grown in confidence as the years have gone by and I feel I will leave a completely different person from the girl who walked through Grand Parade’s doors four years ago!

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Fashion Comms?

I was always interested in both Media and Sociology. They taught me a lot about consumer behaviours, how fashion links to expression and identity, and the power that imagery has on one’s buying habits and emotions. Fashion is something I have always enjoyed and its importance in my life grew as I tried to work out who I was and how I wanted to be seen. It’s such an exciting industry where you can continue to learn and find your identity.

I have already started my job as Communications Account Assistant at Karla Otto! My aim is to move to London as soon as possible, as the commute is a little brutal! But, I can already see how much this role is going to shape me and get me to the place I need to be. I’m looking forward to making lots of new connections and getting to live that london life style again!

Instagram: @Daisyalicehorne

Website: https://daisyhorne.wixsite.com/trendreview

Online portfolio: https://daisyhorne.wixsite.com/creativeportfolio

Find out more about Fashion Communication with Business Studies

Visit our Graduate Summer Show