Graduates 2022: Emily Paranthoen: Fine Art Painting

“The tutors have always been welcoming and have definitely been a key part in the development of my work. Being in an environment which encourages you to explore and try out different mediums and ideas has allowed me to mould my practice into something which I am really proud of.”

I am occupied with the use of technology in painting, particularly in using 3D modelling, video, and digital collage to explore fictional macro and micro systems, in-between spaces and their potential inhabitants. Narrative is important within my work, providing insight into the otherworldly locations I am creating. Currently, I am exploring the idea of a planet very similar to our own. This planet has experienced its seventh mass extinction as a result of a superior and destructive species, acting without thought, in hope of their own advancement. The environments I am creating refer to this world millions of years in the future after this event has occurred, just as nature is beginning to thrive again. The emergence of a strange new world.

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent at Brighton. The tutors have always been welcoming and have definitely been a key part in the development of my work. Being in an environment which encourages you to explore and try out different mediums and ideas has allowed me to mold my practice into something which I am really proud of.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Painting?

I’ve always loved art and always knew I wanted to pursue it further at university. In visiting Brighton, I immediately knew that it was the place I wanted to carry out my uni experience. There was an overwhelming sense of community as soon as I walked through the doors, which really convinced me that Brighton was the place for me.

What are your plans after graduation?

I am hoping to continue work in my own practice as well as pursue a career in digital 3D design. I would love to push my work further and possibly move towards video game design in the future. 

Instagram: @emilyparanthoen

Find out more about Fine Art Painting

Find out more about the Summer Shows 2022