work by Agnieszka Szymaniak

Graduates 2021: Agnieszka Szymaniak: Printmaking

“Graduating in 2021 was obviously not without its challenges. That said I am incredibly proud of the bodies of work both I and my peers have produced in response to the pandemic. We couldn’t have done it without the brilliant support of our technical and lecturing staff.”

Hi Agnieszka – please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

“My work is concerned with memory, materiality, and time, particularly through the subject of the post-industrial landscape and the interplay of objects and space, organic and man-made forms in the construction of memory. I often find myself drawn to an eeriness or strangeness within certain landscapes. I am interested in evoking a sense of past / post memory and place, referencing perhaps archaeological time and a returning to something past, or ancient. Specifically, my practice has come to incorporate the simultaneous and active exploration of landscape through my own body, on foot, and by eye, through the camera lens.”

work by Agnieszka Szymaniak

“Graduating in 2021 was obviously not without its challenges. That said I am incredibly proud of the bodies of work both I and my peers has produced in response to the pandemic. We couldn’t have done it without a brilliant support of our technical and lecturing stuff.”

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Printmaking?

“When I decided to return to university, I knew I wanted to undertake a course that would provide me with a good range of technical skills, as well as the opportunity to think more deeply about artistic practice from theoretical perspective. I knew University of Brighton to have a brilliantly equipped printmaking department, indeed, one of the best in the UK.”

“I’m currently relocating with my partner to Scotland. In recent months, my practical work has increasingly drawn inspiration from natural landscape and traditions of land art – so I’m very excited to explore the wilderness that will be on my doorstep. Glasgow, where I will be settling, also has an incredibly vibrant art scene, that I look forward to contributing to. I have also applied to Leith School of Art for their yearlong residency programme. I’m currently waiting to hear back from them! “

Follow Agnieszka on Instagram

Find out about studying Printmaking BA(Hons) at Brighton.