Graduates 2021: Amber Eder: Design for Digital Media

I chose DDM because it was full of experimentation and creative freedom; I also felt that it would teach me invaluable skills for my future career in design.

I am still finding my “niche” as it were, however I lean towards film making, motion graphics and dabble in illustration too. Some of my most recent and favourable projects have been creating a collection for Audible, it was a live brief by D&AD. Another was working with Forward Poetry, animating one of their poems from their 2021 anthology to be released later this year. My background is a combination of Fine Art and Graphic Design; therefore, my style and approach is a combination of the two. I aim to create work which invites the viewer to question and reflect upon the chose subject. Some of my key influences are artists like Tracey Emin, David Hockey and film maker Tim Burton.

As someone who enjoys working across a range of different mediums, I found this course to be the perfect balance between guided projects and welcomed experimentation. I have also been fortunate enough to have had an incredible tutor in my final year here at Brighton University, Vanessa Marr has been nothing but supportive and kept my entire year group sane the past year! I have loved my time living in Brighton, as a town it is nothing but welcoming and simply full of life –  from the jazz dancers in the Pavilion Gardens on a Sunday to the iconic Snoopers Paradise!

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study DDM?

When it comes to choosing the course, I have to say it chose me. In all honesty, I applied for another course but DDM was recommended to me and once I read more about it  – I was hooked. I chose DDM because it was full of experimentation and creative freedom; I also felt that it would teach me invaluable skills for my future career in design.

I am currently doing two internships, one as a 2D Animator and the other as a Video Content intern, but I am planning on continuing my studies here at Brighton University, I am in the application process of doing a Masters degree.

See Amber’s portfolio: https://www.behance.net/ambereder

Instagram:@a.e.o.designs

Find out more about BA(Hons) Design for Digital Media