work by hannah bryant

Graduates 2021: Hannah Bryant: Textiles

“The course really opens you up to opportunities and ideas. I came to Brighton thinking I would be a print designer, however the first year rotation allowed me to discover that I was a natural weaver… My advice to any new students would be to experiment with techniques and styles.”

Hi Hannah – please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

“My final major project was inspired by the clear night skies of Summer 2020 that global lockdowns blessed us with. As well as a side effect of a new heart medication I had to start, ‘luminous phenomena’. I would describe it as seeing small flashing lights or ‘seeing stars’. Visual research of constellations, moon textures, horoscopes and more, led to creating a final collection of luxury fashion fabrics that hope to enchant a magical yet mysterious mood.

“I used a variety of silks, cottons and lambswool with flecks of lurex throughout to create a cohesive collection of samples that were varied in weights for Autumn/ Winter Womenswear. Creating a whimsical mood through floats and cut floats, varied scale, textures and colour was vital.”

“My time whilst at Brighton has been a challenging one, sadly I have had a difficult couple of years and became very unwell towards the end of second year which I am still having to deal with now. However, my fellow weavers, technical staff and tutors have been exceptional. I never expected the amount of support that I have received. With their ongoing encouragement and belief in me, I kept pushing for what I wanted and did not give up. I am so proud of myself and am so thankful to those who believed in me when I did not have the strength to believe in myself.

“The course itself is fantastic and really opens you up to opportunities and ideas. I came to Brighton thinking I would be a print designer, however the knit/weave/print rotation in first year allowed me to discover that I was a natural weaver even though I had never done it before. My advice to any new students would be to experiment with techniques and styles, you will have your own stamp on projects even if you don’t realise it straight away.

“I also just want to say how thankful I am for the support services at the uni. Any problem or worry, not matter how large or small – someone is there to help, listen and support.”

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Textiles?

“I began sewing about the age of 10 and always drew up outfit or bedroom plans and according to my family, always had an eye for colour. This carried on throughout school and college where I achieved good grades doing something I loved. I have worked in retail but always preferred more of the merchandising side and office jobs made me realise how much I missed being creative. All of these experiences informed my degree decision. It can also be more difficult to get creative jobs without a degree so I have put my all into every project I have been given.”

“My plans after graduation have changed slightly, I still have the desire to go into a creative role however I have also understood that I need to look after myself more and how important this is. I will be taking life slower for a while to improve my health so I can come back stronger and give my absolute best whilst looking after myself. I may need to work from home or part time for a little while so I will be using my connections to see if this will be possible for a creative role and see if I could get the support from an employer to do this knowing I will still give all my best. But I would love to carry on weaving, possibly for an independent brand or small business but also would like to delve into a marketing or design research role as I feel I have strengths in these areas that I’d like to expand on more.”

Hannah Bryant on LinkedIn

Instagram @hannahbryanttextiles

Email Hannah at hannahbryanttextiles@gmail.com

Hannah Bryant on Arts Thread

Find out about studying Textiles with Business Studies BA(Hons) at Brighton and follow the course on Instagram.