painting by nathan grace

Graduates 2021: Nathan Grace: Fine Art Painting

“Painting connects me to the present and allows me to fully express myself, so a course in it was a no-brainer. I looked around a lot of places, but Brighton Uni had a uniquely homely quality about it. The studios are spacious yet intimate and I remember seeing it for the first time and feeling very comfortable”

Hi Nathan – can you tell us a bit about your work and your influences?

“My practice renders the concept of hyperreality with paint, exploring the fluid spectrum of real and fiction. It deals with our digital environment, made more pronounced by the conditions of COVID-19. I utilise digitally sourced and imagined imagery to communicate the duality of a digital world; The visual language of real life and on screen simultaneously merged on a surface to picture the hyperreal state of our current Being. My influences include artists such as Ambera Wellmann, Jenna Gribbon, Luc Tuymans and Lynette Yiadom-Boakye to name a few.”

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

“The course at Brighton has been fantastic! A real opportunity to develop my ideas and practices in a welcoming and productive environment. I have experienced so much growth here personally and artistically. It really sets you up well for a smooth transition into professional life. Not to mention the fabulous studio spaces where you grow with your peers and support each other as you get to know one another.”

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Fine Art Painting?

“I’ve always loved painting. It connects me to the present and allows me to fully express myself, so a course in it was a no-brainer. I looked around a lot of places, but Brighton Uni had a uniquely homely quality about it. The studios are spacious yet intimate and I remember seeing it for the first time and feeling very comfortable. This was a place I wanted to create. I felt so inspired by the myriad of paintings on display and couldn’t wait to integrate into the environment.”

What are your plans after graduation?

“Post graduation, I’m staying in Brighton since I’ve totally fallen in love with it. I aim to work while continuing to develop and expand my practice into a more professional setting. I want to curate shows, exhibit my pieces and grow my network of artists. The main aim is to build a brand for myself and my practice to become a full time painter!”

Follow Nathan on Instagram @nathangraceartist

Find out about studying Fine Art Painting BA(Hons) at Brighton.