architectural drawings by peter garfarth

Graduates 2021: Peter Garfarth: Architecture

“My experience at Brighton has been most importantly, fun. Despite the more recent online learning delivery, the third floor at Mithras House has been a playground of exploration and development for the various projects we undertook.”

Hi Peter – please tell us a bit about your work and your influences?

“Throughout the course of various projects and assignments over the nearly three years, the approach to my design process has continued to develop with both the aid from the different studios I have been a part of as well as the more practical influences such as contemporary architects and their works.

“At the heart of my year three project has been the Studio 13 ethos of reappropriation in the name of being carbon conscious. From a more design-savvy perspective, architects such as Tadeo Ando have heavily influenced my thought process, with his very minimalist yet exciting aesthetic which contrasts the human habitation of a building without making it feel bare.”

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Architecture?

As far back as I can remember I have always been interested in making and creating things, through drawing, gluing, building or anything else I could get my hands on, and somewhere along the line this all funnelled towards the spectacle of architecture.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation I hope to branch out and find employment somewhere I can infuse my hard-earned theoretic knowledge of the subject with the practicality of real-world experience, all in the name of furthering my future in the field of architecture.

Find out about studying Architecture BA(Hons) at Brighton.