three students sitting together

Fashion Comms student Indigo on making the most of your ‘free’ time at uni

“I realised I really needed to get better at utilising my free time to benefit my degree more, it goes so quickly as it is you’ve got to make it count.”

“When first starting university, and starting my second year too I felt I had quite a lot of free time. I realised I really needed to get better at utilising my free time to benefit my degree more, it goes so quickly as it is you’ve got to make it count. Of course, using your free time at uni to socialise, make memories, work and do whatever you need to do is important.

“To start with I decided I needed to read, research and generate ideas for my projects every day no matter what I was doing. Sometimes it’s impossible but on the whole it’s manageable, for instance reading an article or a couple of pages in your research book will benefit your work hugely. It’s much easier to take in information, especially when you’re busy or tired when you read in smaller segments. Then that daunting list of research books and papers becomes much easier to get through. Another tip, when you’re researching, finding images/sources online, or in the library make sure to put it all into a document on your computer and just copy and paste and include photos! You can end up with this file full of information that you can edit, use and turn into your referencing guide.

“Think outside the box- You can enrich your work with more context by finding unusual, unique and alternative forms of inspiration. Especially when you’re doing a creative degree it is important to look at a vast range of sources and research. For instance, go to exhibitions that interest you even if they’re not directly related to your subject, find real world cultural references from across the globe and constantly review new and upcoming practitioners. By using these tips it’ll develop your work more contextually and will bump up those grades when you can connect and utilise all this new exciting information.”

Find out about studying Fashion Communication with Business Studies BA(Hons).