work by davis mak

Graduates 2020: Davis Mak: MArch

“My work has focused on developing a cybernetic system, co-designing with nature, that involves algorithm code writing in stimulating the growth of nature and the development of material and structural system.’”

Hi Davis, please tell us a bit about your work, your influences etc

“Influence: In years of exploring architecture through academic studies, I have become more interested in developing new ways of co-designing with nature; particularly the integration of materials and structural systems with digital and traditional craftsmanship.

“The main influence has been the work of urban ecologist, Gregory Bateson. His book ‘steps to an ecology of mind’ has inspired me on the importance of ecology in architectural synthesis. This is essential for our future urban development as it provides a new method of designing and co-living with nature.”

Tell us a bit about your final project

“In my final year project, I have focused on the concept of cohabitation between culture and nature, and how human interaction could help in building the eco-system in the context of a tower as a provocation.

“My research project consisted of designing an ecological tower in Ashdown Forest, which would provide habitats to species that lost their home during the progress of our urban development. The proposal is addressing the positive impact that architecture could, indeed, bring to the environment. The idea of extending the forest ecosystem is important in fighting climate change and restoring the biodiversity in the proposed site area.

“My work has been focused on developing a cybernetic system in co-designing with nature, that involves algorithm code writing in stimulating the growth of nature and the development of material and structural system which integrated with the ‘living soil’. The proposed design encourages the development of the ecology. The integration of the ‘living soil’ in the building system reflects our standpoint in seeing nature as part of our system.”

“The university has provided me a good study environment and atmosphere. A lot of good staff, tutors, and technicians are extremely helpful in the progress of my thesis development. The course has been intense, but rewarding, especially with a beautiful seafront area in Brighton, it is a balance to the busy architectural life.

“After graduation, I plan to live and work in London for a couple of years as a part 2 architect and continue my path in this profession.”

View Davis’s work in the End of Year Show.

Find out about studying MArch.