Graduates 2020: Ben Palmer: Product Design

My work primarily focuses on material reclamation and combating waste streams to create unique design solutions. 

I am particularly interested in the furniture industry and strongly believe that we are straying away from appreciating the craft of making. I want to increase confidence in DIY through simplifying the making process whilst creating objects that hold emotional value. I want to come in between bespoke and mass-manufactured furniture to develop a new alternative.

How have you found your time at Brighton?

I have loved my time studying in Brighton, being on a course that has introduced me to a number of different skills and given me the opportunity to develop projects that tackle problem areas that are personal to me.

The introduction of Other Today Studio in my final year has expanded my outlook on the design industry and opened me up to different paths I could take after University. Being surrounded by creativity and like minded people has meant that Brighton has been an inspiring place to develop as a designer.

What are your plans after graduating?

Once I graduate I want to continue to focus on furniture making and further develop my practice. What I’ve learnt from my course is that I love to continually learn new practical skills, that can be applicable to a number of job roles without being restricted to one specific practice.

See Ben’s websote

Wikifactory

Instagram

Visit the Graduate Show 2020

Find out more about BSc(Hons) Product Design