Graduates 2020: Thomas Roberts: MArch

My work this year has focused on the design of a future tower within the Ashdown forest and has first focused on looking at an integration.

My interest was shadow and light and this has been influenced me throughout my project. My initial interest of shadow and light came from my chosen intangiable heritage the ‘summer solstice’ which takes place at Stonehenge every year. The translation of this event took my interest of shadow and light into a totem that would be used as an typology to create a tower. My cladding took influence from karl wachsman seat belt system which I developed into a system I could use to form cross laminated timber shell structure which I could grow the lowland Heath onto.  The lowland Heath is a habitat diminishing in the UK and my tower looked at rejuvenating this ancient land. 

How have you found your time at Brighton?

I have felt my time at Brighton has really pushed me further than I ever could have imagined living in a new city and learning a great deal in the two years.  The facilities have been excellent in terms of the workshop and printing facilities. The teaching 1-1 within the studio has been excellent and the range of course modules has given me a good learning experience. 

What are you plans after graduating?

My initial plans after graduation was to go back to the practice I was sponsored with in Cambridge however due to COVID-19 I now have to look elsewhere so I am seeking a new job somewhere new in the country. 

Watch Thomas discuss his work

See more work

Find out more about MA Architecture RIBA part 2

Visit the End of Year Show