Graduates 2020: Milly Westbrook: Fashion and Dress History

As a dress historian my work uses material culture specifically fashion to unlock a wider history of the world.

For my undergraduate dissertation entitled From Gymslips to Djibbahs: Exploring the Unconventional Uniform of Roedean School 1905 -1939, I explored a lesser known but unique school uniform worn at Roedean school. This study enabled me to yield a theoretical understanding of how girls school uniform can aid in the adolescent development of young girls, its role in the manifestation of class and privilege and finally how an unconventional uniform can be used as a case study in wider uniform theory.

Aside from school uniform I have academic interests in a wide range of topics from style eras such as Rococo to the Pre-Raphaelites and research areas such as the de-colonisation of dress studies to the use of garment reconstruction as a research tool.

How have you found your course/time at Brighton?

I have enjoyed my time at Brighton immensely, throughout my three years studying I have developed my academic skills, confidence and a passion for my subject. My time at University has laid the groundwork for what I hope will be a fulfilling and successful future career as a dress historian.

What are your plans after Graduation?

After graduating I plan to complete a Masters degree in History of Design and Material Culture. Additionally, I will also build my online presence to establish myself within dress history circles and gain relevant work experience.

Follow Milly on Instagram 

See Milly’s work in the Graduate Show 2020

Find out more about BA(Hons) Fashion and Dress History