Graduates 2020: Cara Stewart: Graphic Design

A lot of my work has a strong focus on process, I enjoy working in an analogue style and physically creating something as opposed to just working digitally.

My style differs by project as I like to use a range of different techniques such as collage, print and typography. I also like experimenting with shape, texture and negative space. My final project in 3rd year was influenced by collections and archive systems which is something I want to bring into future work. My work is structured yet minimal which is inspired by my love of Swiss, German and Scandinavian Design. My other strong influences include Ryan Carl, Patrick Thomas, Spin Studio and Erik Brandt.

How have you found your course/time at Brighton?

I was initially drawn to the Brighton course as it was a combined studio space with illustration which I thought was really unique. The experimental nature of the course and the diverse briefs pushed me to explore a range of different areas within design. I struggled to identify where I specialised as a designer so this helped me a lot and heavily influenced my development over the years. The tutors have been really supportive and encourage you to talk confidently about your work which is so important in this industry.

carastewart.cargo.site

What are your plans after Graduation?

After having spent these last few years in Brighton, I don’t want to go back to my hometown in the South West. I like the busy-ness of Brighton which inspires my creativity so I plan on finding an internship here or another big city. I also want to look into working abroad which has been a dream of mine since before university. I would especially love to work in one of the European countries mentioned previously as I find their design really influential. 

See more of Cara’s work

Follow Cara on Instagram

Cara’s Behance 

Find out more about BA(Hons) Graphic Design

See Cara’s work in the Graduate Show 2020