“Being shown alongside such artists …really makes me want to push my work further and further!”

Since graduating in 2018 artist Conor White has followed his dreams through to the Royal Academy. Here he tells us how.

“Entering the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition was always an ambition of mine. We’d always organise a big art’s trip from Brighton to the Royal Academy every summer for the show. The summer exhibition receives 16,000 applications every year, so for my painting ‘The Stag’ to be whittled down to the very final 1600 pieces is an incredible opportunity.

Conor pointing to painting in RA

Having my work up on those historic walls is an amazing experience and being shown alongside such artists as Anselm Kiefer and Rose Wylie really makes me want to push my work further in the further!

I was also invited for interview by the BBC for the yearly BBC Royal Academy of Arts Summer Exhibition documentary which was an interesting experience!

RA Summer exhibition room filled with visitors

Before the shows opening to the public, I had the opportunity to visit the show several times for the exhibitors private view events including Varnishing Day and Buyers Day. I brought fellow Brighton School of Arts alumni with me over this weekend period and family members who all loved the show. Over the last couple of months I’ve made frequent trips to London to meet friends and family to tour them around the exhibition and bring them for a drink in the Academicians Room, a private members and exhibitors bar hidden inside of the Royal Academy.

Since graduating from Fine Art Painting, I have continued to live and work down in Brighton. I am fortunate enough to have acquired a studio in central Brighton at the end of 2018 and am continuing my artistic ambitions regularly between working hours.”

Find out more about BA(Hons) Fine Art Painting