Textiles student recycles dog hair to net first prize

Textiles student Jade Evans has won a £1500 prize for her business idea of making home furnishings from recycled excess dog hair.

Jade’s ‘Hair of the Dog’ scooped first prize in the Santander University of Brighton Ideas Competition 2019.

The project aims to “make a change within the textiles production industry”, builds on Jade’s current project in her MDes Textiles with Business Studies degree.

Santander Universities awarded £1500, £1000 and £750 sums to the first, second and third place winners, while the three runners up receive £250 and 10 highly commended entries are awarded £100.

Reacting to her first prize, Jade said: “I am very honoured to have been chosen as the winner. I have been developing and working towards this project for just under 18 months as part of my textiles studies, and it is something I have become very passionate about.”

“I never expected the idea to be as successful as it is already. I can’t wait to start making my little dream into a real life business and success with help from the amazing group of sponsors.”

Second prize went to MDes Textiles with Business Studies student Lily Rodgers’ SundayBest Knitwear, which proposes to be an “antidote” to fast fashion by encouraging consumers to be active participants in the design and manufacture of their own garments.

Lily said: “I am very grateful for this amazing opportunity and for all the support from the beepurple team. It’s going to be an exciting year.”

Of SundayBest Knitwear, Lily added: “I want to encourage people into the craft of knitting not just as a fashionable creative craft but also as an activity to support wellbeing.

“My idea developed in my final year studying MDes Textiles with Business Studies in which I have been exploring how creating strong connections between people and their clothing can inform more sustainable fashion outlooks and this inspired my business idea.”

Runners-up are: Dale Mass’s Lignum Lux, bespoke designs made from opaque natural woods; Zachariah Salvage’s EDGE, a social club for adult with disabilities; and William Challis and Tom Mason’s Cluster, a platform that uses an algorithm to tailor breakfasts to each individual’s nutritional needs.

Find out more about Fashion at Brighton