Graduate Show 2019: Chelsea Mulcare: Textiles

My work is Bold and expressive with an element of fun. I love the unconventional use of colour and aim to communicate youthful spontaneity through my work.

I am influenced by Artists such as Carlos Cruz Diez who works with neon colours and light installations. I also love young designers such as Hannah Weiland whose fashion brand “Shrimps” has a focus on tactility and a vibrant playful feel.

Can you tell me about your final year project?

My final year project is a fashion textiles collection titled “Neon Jungle”. It is a focused exploration of the colour, texture and form produced by botanicals when they appear under oversaturated artificial lighting.

Drawing of purple coat and neon green trousers

How have you found your time at Brighton?

My time at Brighton has been great. I have learnt to understand myself as a designer and grown confident in my ideas and ability to create.
I feel the the textiles course at Brighton has really prepared me for life after graduation. It is amazing that we have a placement year , where I gained experience working in a multi disciplinary design agency and living abroad in Barcelona.
Because it is a relatively small course we really have the opportunity to get to know everyone and build a great relationship with our tutors and peers.

multicoloured cloth

What are your plans after graduating?

My plans after graduation is to work in Trend Forecasting and Styling. I love fashion and hope to continue working with my passion for colour and trend.

Follow Chelsea on Instagram

Visit the Graduate Show

Find out more about Textiles with Business Studies

#brightongradshow19