necklace by louise bell

Craft MA graduate starts Crafts Council hothouse scheme

Graduate Louise Bell has been chosen for the Crafts Council’s 2019 hothouse programme which supports talented makers at the start of their career. Louise, who took the Craft MA in it’s first year, said of her time on the course:

“I chose Brighton for my Masters because I was attracted to the syllabus. Making work was a priority, however I also had a desire to look into the way that craft and ceramics in particular can relate to emotional and social issues.

“The course was very special and I felt very privileged to be there. I learnt something new every day: ways to improve my technical skills, how to be an artist and a researcher, new directions and inspirations.

“We worked quite a bit as a whole group. We were taught in a very interactive way. We went to Munich as part of the International Craft and Trades Fair and took part in a group residency at the Ditchling Museum of Art and Craft.

“The year encapsulated what education should be about – learning from others, challenging yourself and having a good time!”

Hothouse is a programme of creative and business development opportunities delivered over a six month period for talented makers at the start of their career.

The programme includes group workshops, a residential course and 1:1 mentoring and will run from  February to July 2019. Find out more on the Crafts Council’s website.