Graduates 2018: Rachel Wells: Textiles

As a knitwear designer, I love experimenting with how you can manipulate the structure of the stitches to create three dimensional forms.

I find that the knitting can be quite unpredictable, but often the mistakes can take you into a different direction and become a main feature.

Close up of knitwear by Rachel Wells

This year I have taken in inspiration from uniforms and given the knitting a function through combining techniques into pockets. I have also had a strong interest in ribs structures and through changing the typical configuration, I have created a unique frilled edge which I have incorporated into my garments.

Rachel Wells knitwear

I love layering different tones and shades of the same colour as I feel it brings out the detail in the structure of the knitting, practically when working with superfine wools and silks.

Close up of sleeveRachel Wells Knitwear close up

I hope to gain more experience in the fashion industry and eventually become a knitwear designer.

How have you found studying Textiles at Brighton?

I have learnt a tremendous amount about knitwear and the industry during my time on the course. I have found that each project has a specific purpose which all comes together in the final year, where you have the freedom to direct your own project. The placement year I had in New York was invaluable and gave me a good incite to what is to come after I graduate.

Follow Rachel on Instagram

Check out more of Rachel’s work  

Visit the Graduate Show

Find out more about our BA(Hons) Textiles with Business Studies