Graduates 2018: Till Lightfoot Pendered: 3D Design & Craft

My project this year has culminated in a film featuring the costumes and objects I have made.

The narrative depicts a traditionally testing British day out at the seaside, in which the protagonist ‘Big Fat Man’ is subject to a series of comical disasters, resulting in his mysterious disappearance. The work celebrates the weird and wonderful workings of the human imagination to come up with hilarious ways to entertain.

Till Pendered 3D head

Can you tell us a bit more about how you work?

My making process begins with imagining and illustrating the characters. Then I ‘draw in the air’ to build their structures, using steam bending and spot welding as the principle techniques for this.

Adding to these structures, I find that the context and irregularities of found and re-appropriated materials create interesting dialogues within the works. This determines what I produce as much as the vision I start with and gives the work a life of its own.

The purpose and identity of each costume links closely to the sea. The narrative refers to traditional sea tales, and pays homage to the drab seaside town feel of many of the costal areas around England.

Sketch for design

What’s next for you?

My plans following graduation are to spend as much time at the seaside as possible, and also to get into set and prop building at festivals.

Till Pendered on beach

How did you find studying 3D Design at Brighton?

I feel incredibly lucky to have been able to study on the 3D course as I get the feeling it’s a one of a kind, and offers such a wide range of ways to experiment with materials and concepts. I have also met an amazing group of like-minded people through studying at this university.

Follow Till on Instagram

Come to the Graduate Show

Find out more about BA(Hons) 3D Design & Craft